Complaint Review: Area Circulation

• Submitted: Fri, June 29, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, July 03, 2008

• Reported By:Harrison New York
Area Circulation
5656 Shell Rd Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.

Area Circulation Ripoff Fraudulent Unethical Misleading Company that should be shut down!! Virginia Beach Virginia

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you can listen to yourself on tape agreeing to the payments

*Author of original report: Bewar of Area Circulation - they continue to try and rip you off!!!

Back in Decemeber of 2006 I received a call selling magazine subscriptions. I usually never fall for these scams but for some reason this time I did.

Area Circulation said that I would have to make 3 payments of $74.75 for 3 magazine subscriptions. They even gave me the dates that these 3 payments would come out of my account.

Six months later, the monthly payment of $74.75 is still being charged to my account. I called yesterday to find out why and that's when I was told that I was some how in contract to make 12 payments of that amount. Needless to say, I went nuts! Why would I agree to pay $897 for 3 magazine subscriptions? I never even got to choose the magazines either! I told them that I wanted this cancelled immediately and that they were not to go into my account to withdraw another dime. They told me that there is no way to cancel my account until I finished making the payments for 12 months. With that information I flipped out, and ended up screaming at these theives that work for this horrible company. I hung up and called back and spoke with 3 different people until I finally got the supervisor, Sarah who should be ashamed of herself for holding such a postion in a fraudulent company. She was just as bad as everyone else that I spoke to. I demanded that they cancel my account immediately once again. She finally cancelled my account but said that I still have to make a payment of over $200 to finalize everything on my account.

How dare this company charge almost $900 for magazine subscriptions for magazines that I never requested and half of the time never got. I went through hell trying to cancel the account and they are still billing.

Area Circulation needs to be shut down for being unethical, fraudulent, and misleading. They should be held responsible for their actions and should be made to reinburse all of the people that they have ripped off!

Allyson
Harrison, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2007 12:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Area-Circulation/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23455/Area-Circulation-Ripoff-Fraudulent-Unethical-Misleading-Company-that-should-be-shut-down-257721. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Area Circulation

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you can listen to yourself on tape agreeing to the payments

AUTHOR: Tsr-n.m. - (U.S.A.)

I am a former employee of Area Circ. I am still in the magazine industry. We actually record our part of the conversation and can play it back for customers. The way the billing is done it is 14.95 per month for 60 months. Rather than bill you 60 times, we break the billing up into a one year payment plan. If you multiply 14.95 times 5months, it equals 74.75. Five goes into 60 twelve times, therefore its 12 monthly payments to pay your acct in full. You have a remaining 48 months of service with no more billing. Sorry that you didn't understand the payment plan. Some misunderstandings can ruin it for other companies. Thanks, Amy C.

Bewar of Area Circulation - they continue to try and rip you off!!!

AUTHOR: Allyson - (U.S.A.)

After speaking with several people at Area Circulation and not getting anywhere with any of them I finally was able to speak with the Manager Sara who was not much help either. I demanded that she cancel my account. She finally agreedto cancel the account, but told me that I still had to pay over $200. I received a bill for that amount (which I did not pay because I planned on fighting having to pay them anymore money) and the I received notice that it had been cancelled. I also reported them to the BBB and a few days ago I had a depsosit of over $400 in my bank account. Whatever you do do not give up on your fight with them. Demand to have your account cancelled and report them to whoever listens!!!!