Complaint Review: Auto Zone - Jacksonville, Illinois

• Submitted: Sat, August 07, 2004
  • Updated: Wed, August 29, 2007

• Reported By:Jacksonville Illinois
Auto Zone - Jacksonville, Illinois
Morton Ave. Jacksonville, Illinois Jacksonville, Illinois U.S.A.

Auto Zone In Jacksonville, Illinois sold high dollar unnecessary item/refused exchange and refund of check . No policy posted! Jacksonville Illinois

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Your brother mislead you.

On Aug.6,2004 asked to purchase spark plugs for 1997 Chevy Venture Van. Employee gave me 6 ACDelco Professional Platinum plugs, at a cost of $50.94. I was given no information as to an alternate less costly plug. As I never carry large amounts of cash I paid with a check. My brother was to install the spark plugs for me and asked why I got the high dollar plugs. When he discovered I had no clue of a cheaper alternative he said they ripped me off because I was a woman.

He returned with me to Auto Zone immediately to exchange them for a cheaper but adequate spark plug for my van. The employee who sold me the plugs was unavailable so we requested to speak with the manager. He notified us we could purchase the other plugs but he could not refund the difference because they had a policy where no purchases with checks could be refunded before a 7 day period. I told the manager of the deceptive practice his employee had used on me for the purchase of the plugs that weren't necessary and he simply informed me that was too bad and to come back in seven days.

I asked where the check policy was posted and it wasn't. Had it been I would have used my debit card. The less costly plugs would have been half the price of those I purchased. I want a policy posted and in view for patrons concerning their checks purchases, and options made available for informed purchases to both sexes.

I also want the cheaper but adequate plugs for my van with a difference refund now so I can have a safe mode of transportation today not in a week!

Paula
Jacksonville, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2004 08:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Auto-Zone-Jacksonville-Illinois/Jacksonville-Illinois-62650/Auto-Zone-In-Jacksonville-Illinois-sold-high-dollar-unnecessary-itemrefused-exchange-and-102548. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Auto Zone - Jacksonville, Illinois

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Your brother mislead you.

AUTHOR: Partman James - (U.S.A.)

Your brother may believe that cheaper is better, but it is not. You should try to always replace plugs or other parts with OEM, if possible. It is what came in the car and it meets all manufacture specs. I know at times that cost can be a factor, but for the most part you should go OEM!

I can tell that your brother, is at best a real poor " shade tree" mechanic at best. The sales person at Auto Zone was not trying to rip you off. They wanted to sell you the best for your van! Most people, especially women, like to use the best and AC/Delco are the best. True professionals will bare me out on this.

The check policy is on the receipt. Also a check policy is not required to be posted in all states.

Partman James.