Complaint Review: Brent Air Towing

• Submitted: Mon, December 18, 2000
  • Updated: Mon, December 18, 2000

• Reported By:Irvine CA
Brent Air Towing
2340 Federal Towing West Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Brent Air Towing, illegal towing consumer rip-off

Yesterday my car was towed illegally at a gas station. I parked my car in a space designated for a Shell gas station and an Expressmart in 900 Gayley Westwood, CA 90024. I went into the expressmart and bought some food and left to go down the street to go get a sandwich (I don't have a receipt). I came back five minutes later and saw my car getting towed. I told the towing guy that I had bought food from the express mart and he said that the Shell worker called him over from the other side of the street and went on to the Minimart and asked whose car that is outside? The minimart worker can't see to the outside of where my car is parked and said, I don't know. After vehemently arguing with the towing guy and the shell guy I still had to pay. The towing guy said," Either you pay me $96.50 now or $126.50 at the impound yard." I paid not knowing my rights. I came home and found out my rights,

22953. (a) Every owner or person in lawful possession of any private property which is held open to the public, or a discernible portion thereof, for parking of vehicles at no fee, shall not tow or remove, or cause the towing or removal, of any vehicle within one hour of the vehicle being parked.

I called the towing company and asked for my money back stating that I have a one-hour grace period no matter what (even though I bought food from the minimart). The guy told me that if you want your money you would have to take me to small claims court.

Knowing that the towing company knows the law. It is illegal and the money he took he might have kicked back to the Shell worker.

Here is the information about the Establishments involved:
Shell gas station
900 GAYLEY AV/LE CONTE, LOS ANGELES, CA 90024, (310) 208-9413
Expressmart
Express Mart 10974 Le Conte Ave. 1 (310) 209-9111
Brent Air Towing
2340 Federal Avenue, West Los Angeles, CA 90064 1 (310) 208-7789

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brent-Air-Towing/West-Los-Angeles-California-90064/Brent-Air-Towing-illegal-towing-consumer-rip-off-4052. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brent Air Towing