Complaint Review: Brother International Corporation

• Submitted: Thu, February 27, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, March 06, 2003

• Reported By:Keystone Heights Florida
Brother International Corporation
15 Musick Irvine, California U.S.A.

Brother International Corporation No Customer Service Printer a Total Rip Off !!! Irvine California

*Consumer Suggestion: This could be of some help.

*Author of original report: To R.J. from Arkansas

*Consumer Suggestion: Unlikely to be fault of printer.

*Author of original report: Finally!! A Response from Brother International's Customer Service

In December my father bought me a brand new Brother HL-1440 laser printer for a Christmas gift. "Wow!", I think to myself, "Now I can make all the copies of my child's school work I need.(We are home based private school).

Wrong! The printer does print, however, it also prints a full page of fine print extra that tells me the resolution has been adapted because there is not enough memory on my printer. It only has 2 lousy megabytes!

Ok, so I go to Brother's web site and find out there is a SIMM I can purchase. Supposedly at any store that carries computer equipment.--NOT! Every store I went to (six in all & up to 60 miles from home.) said they did not even carry the kind required!

Back at home I e-mail Brother(could take up to 3 business days for them to reply), but they never reply. Next I try calling their 1 800 number, "...due to high call volume...please call back later"...

So I call back later and am on the phone for 40 minutes listening to the same stale recording over and over telling me I have reached the office in Irvine, CA and the operating hours and to hold for a cs rep!!!

My dad, just like most folks, works hard for his paycheck and doesn't deserve to get ripped off like this!!!

Taylor
Keystone, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2003 09:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brother-International-Corporation/Irvine-California-92618/Brother-International-Corporation-No-Customer-Service-Printer-a-Total-Rip-Off-Irvine-C-47176. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brother International Corporation

#1 Consumer Suggestion

This could be of some help.

AUTHOR: RJ - (U.S.A.)

Ive just read over 150 user comments on this printer. None had the same type complaint. However, some did find fault with insufficient memory. A few others complained about the printer drivers when using the XP operating system. It may be that drivers have been updated since you got your printer or that they will be in the near future.

If you have not already purchased more memory, I and some friends have successfully ordered from the following company. Your type memory is listed for a reasonable price.

Company Name: Crucial Technology (http://www.crucial.com)

System:

Brother HL-1440

32MB - $39.99 #CT235889 16MB - $24.99 #CT235891

Good luck!

To R.J. from Arkansas

AUTHOR: Taylor - (U.S.A.)

Thanks for your input, but I had already tried those remedies to no avail. If you have any other sugestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

P.S. Just to set the record straight, I said the printer works fine, except it keeps printing the extra page that says that my resolution has been adapted. For what I'm printing, it is fine if the resolution is adapted. I just want the extra page to stop being printed. It may seem petty to some, but that wasted ink and paper cost money and as a widow and single mom I just don't have the money to waste. Thanks again for your suggestions,though.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Unlikely to be fault of printer.

AUTHOR: RJ - (U.S.A.)

The Brother HL-1440 is the highest rated laser printer reported on in a very highly respected consumer magazine. It's said to have the fastest text printing and lowest per-page cost of the test models. Quieter than most. Excellent print quality.

Taking the above information and the fact that there are a great many people who think these printers are great, it may be that your problem is not due to lack of sufficient memory. What you have may be too little for complicated graphics, but certainly not for printing text.

I in no way want to seem insulting, but I don't know your experience level. May I suggest that you double-check in your computer "Printer Folder" to make sure that the correct printer drivers are installed and choosen. If that is "ok", you may find that the print settings within your software (Word, etc.) are not being correctly choosen.

Though perhaps not in your case, the fact is that the majority of complaints involving computers and printers are due to lack of user understanding and experience.

Finally!! A Response from Brother International's Customer Service

AUTHOR: Taylor - (U.S.A.)

I finally received a response from Brother regarding information on obtaining a SIMM for more memory on my printer. One major catch- Brother sells the SIMM for the same price I paid for the original printer!!!!!!

In all fairness, there are lesser expensive SIMMs-but with hardly any more memory than what I already have.

Brother, I will never by any of your products again!!!!