midnight

• Submitted: Thu, July 31, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 31, 2008

• Reported By:Tampa Florida
California Coast University
700 N. Main St. Santa Ana, California U.S.A.

California Coast University Fails To Disclose and Changes Terms of Its Tutition Agreement After You Sign Santa Ana California

California Coast University (CCU) is a distance learning school that offers degrees in several fields. Their catalog is very specific as to how a tutition refund is handled if you withdraw from the school. I entered a dual degree program (Bachelor's and Masters) in business administration at a discounted tuition rate.

After having some conflict with a professor as I was finishing the Bachelor's portion, I chose to withdraw after I completed the first degree. When I requested a refund pursuant to their policies as specifically stated in their catalog, they refused to refund to me the proportional amount I had paid less their $100 fee for withdrawing. So, instead of receiving over $2100, they determined arbitrarily that they would change the rules and sent me only $600.

I contacted the California Bureau of PostSecondary schools, the body that regulates them, but they indicated they could not intervene. I filed a suit in small claims court here in Florida. Because I cashed the check just before the stale date on it, they ruled in the school's favor. I appealed the decision, but the appellate court upheld the lower court's decision. Bottom line is this - the school did not honor their own advertising or agreement. I even offered to settle halfway, but they refused. My suggestion is to avoid this school primarily for this reason, but also because their instructors tend to treat you as something less than a human being at times and in many instances did not communicate well.

Chris
Tampa, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2008 03:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/California-Coast-University/Santa-Ana-California-92701/California-Coast-University-Fails-To-Disclose-and-Changes-Terms-of-Its-Tutition-Agreement-357860. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on California Coast University