Complaint Review: Check Processing Bureau Enforcement Division

• Submitted: Wed, February 06, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, May 07, 2008

• Reported By:middletown New York
Check Processing Bureau Enforcement Division
130 Church Street Suite 276, New York, New York U.S.A.

Check Processing Bureau Enforcement Division I recieved a letter stating that I had bounced 2 checks in the amount of $172 and $171.50. I was told that they would "cut me a deal" if I wired them money through Western Union! New York New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Are You Kidding?

The letter sent to me stating that I had two outstanding bounced checks in the amount of $172 and &171.50(very odd). There was no address to this restaurant where the checks had been written, no bank where the checks came from, and no verification seal or any proof that they were an official bureau.

I immediately called the person who was assigned to my case. He brought up an address from 7 years ago when I lived in Seattle. He then went on about the city a little bit, saying that he had been there and it was a great city. It sounded like he was reading facts about it from a website. He was probably trying to familiarize himself with me to get my trust. I said that I did not remember being at such a place, but if he could provide evidence then I would own up to my responsibility. He told me a couple of dates and check numbers. He then basically said I would have to do the research myself!

After that he went on about how he thought I was a good person and he would cut me a deal and settle for $200. He gave me a number to a Western Union so that I could wire money to his bureau. I got off the phone and felt like I had just spoken to a used car salesman. When I googled the company name red flags came up, stating that it was a fraud. I called him back and got a voicemail. Then I called and asked to speak to the company suppervisor, I was directed to another voicemail.

Finally I spoke to a very rude receptionist, he gave me the run around. My case rep. aka the used car salesman, called me back and was extremely rude and deffensive when I had reported to him what I had discovered. He was completely unprofessional! The conversation ended with him telling me to make any complaints I wanted. Then he said, and I quote, "you tell them that I was trying to be a nice guy and give you a brake!" Then he hung up on me. The statute of limitations is the question here. Is that why everyone is contacted after or just before seven years? Is this just some petty company buying or simply researching our old spendings and manipulating us?

Carly
middletown, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2008 04:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Check-Processing-Bureau-Enforcement-Division/New-York-New-York-10940/Check-Processing-Bureau-Enforcement-Division-I-recieved-a-letter-stating-that-I-had-bounce-306789. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Check Processing Bureau Enforcement Division

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Are You Kidding?

AUTHOR: Hollie - (U.S.A.)

This is a complete rip off, You never western union money to anyone whom you don't know regardless of how "Real" you may think the debt they are telling you owe is! First tip should have been that you wrote these checks to a resturant? Come on seriously, what resturant do you know of that accepts checks as a form of payment? Now the other consumer who got a letter stating she wrote a bad check to pizza hut is more believable being they actually did accept checks until about a year or two ago, but when the amount was 140.00 yeah that was a good tip off!

Anyhow these people are bogus and I too got a letter from these people claiming I wrote two bad checks which total 607.86 however one is to a store I have never walked into let alone wrote a check to so I knew immediatly that it was a scam, but still thought to come here and see if this was something new or if it has been around for a while and sur enough I am not the first and I won't be the last to get a letter from them, I just hope no one has fallen victim to them and paid them money?