Complaint Review: Days Inn Ann Arbor

• Submitted: Wed, January 23, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, January 30, 2008

• Reported By:Ypsilanti Michigan
Days Inn Ann Arbor
www.daysinn.com Ann Arbor, Michigan U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Hotel

Days Inn Ann Arbor Extra Charges on credit Card not initially agreed upon. Ann Arbor Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Bait and Switch

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You should be greatful.

*Consumer Comment: Your idea of small?

*Consumer Suggestion: Small Party

I went to the hotel a week prior to the date of complaint. I asked the clerk to look at their pool area, which he then took me to. I asked if it was alright for guests to have a small party and birthday cake at the pool area, and he assured me that it would be ok.
I returned to the hotel the following Saturday and rented two rooms for myself and 3 young children. As guests arrived I received a call from the clerk telling me that they will charge an extra ten dollars per child attending the party, which I attempted to debate but I then had a dozen ten and unders to supervise. the party lasted for two hours and after cleaning up I went to the front desk and debated the fee they intended to charge my credit cared. the manager told me that when I check out he will reduce the rate of the room to compensate me the $80.

The next morning me and my children checked out and the manager was not available, the on duty clerk had no idea what I was talking about and so on and so on......... I then was charged the full rate of the rooms and an additional eighty dollars for the guest attending. I have since disputed the charge with my credit card company, and time will tell what the outcome will be.

My grudge is that I had other alternatives for the price had I known of the intention to charge for each child. My $120 night turned into $200, whereas I could have had the party elsewhere for that price. I believe that there was no mention of extra fees upon arrival and direct questions/discussions about the pool use.

I welcome feed back on this issue and if the majority believes they were in the right I will retract my dispute and pay the charges.

Kenneth
Ypsilanti, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2008 01:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Days-Inn-Ann-Arbor/Ann-Arbor-Michigan-48103/Days-Inn-Ann-Arbor-Extra-Charges-on-credit-Card-not-initially-agreed-upon-Ann-Arbor-Michi-302680. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Days Inn Ann Arbor

Bait and Switch

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

"I asked if it was alright to have a "SMALL" party and birthday cake at the pool area. "...rented two rooms for myselfself and 3 young children". "But I had a DOZEN ten and under...". You go from a "small" party to a dozen "ten and under" plus however many adults there were to supervise, which was at least 13 or 14 people in all. He probably didn't see a problem with a "small" party but when you got to at least a dozen and more it got out of hand. Next time try chuckie cheese's. You lead him to believe there would be a few people having a birthday party, not over a dozen. talk about bait and switch.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You should be greatful.

AUTHOR: Mara - (U.S.A.)

I worked for many years at a Days Inn in Indiana, and we encountered this situation many times. The pool area is for registered guests only and NO food or drinks are allowed in the pool area. In my hotel the proceedure would have been to ask you to leave as soon as we saw what was going on, and if you didn't go willingly you would have a police escort. What makes you think you had the right to infringe on the other guests?

Your idea of small?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You asked the clerk if it was okay for "guests" to have a "small" party. I am pretty sure you did not ask if it was okay to have a party with a "dozen ten and unders", most of whom will not be actual guests.

You feel you have a valid dispute because "I believe that there was no mention of extra fees upon arrival and direct questions/discussions about the pool use." Your right there was none because you didn't bring it up and the clerk was not going to bring it up because they thought it would be a small party. How is the clerk supposed to know that 13(the dozen under 10's + yourself) is a small party.

If the manger was not there and you were charged the full amount. Did you attempt to call the manger again or did you instantly dispute it with your credit card company? If not why not?

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Small Party

AUTHOR: Keel - (U.S.A.)

You said "I asked if it was alright for guests to have a small party and birthday cake at the pool area, and he assured me that it would be ok". You then stated "I returned to the hotel the following Saturday and rented two rooms for myself and 3 young children. As guests arrived I received a call from the clerk telling me that they will charge an extra ten dollars per child attending the party, which I attempted to debate but I then had a dozen ten and unders to supervise"

I don't know what your definition of small party is, but most hotel people are not going to define small party as being 12 kids. You rented 2 rooms and had 12 kids there. The hotel gave you credit for 2 people in each room and charged you their extra person fee for each of the additional people, which came out to the additional $80.00 If the kids were not guest in the hotel then they could not swim in the pool as they would not be covered under the hotel's insurance etc if something should happen. Also, did you think about how many guest your 12 kids were driving out of the pool area and maybe how much money you cost the hotel by other guests not being able to use the pool?

Bottom line is that $200 is not much money at all to spend on a party for a dozen 10 year olds. You should give the hotel the additional money as you weren't completely honest with them and drop the case. Hopefully your kid had a good birthday party, and thats all that matters in this anyway.