Complaint Review: Disable American Veterans DAV Thrift Store

• Submitted: Wed, October 10, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, April 08, 2009

• Reported By:Oceanside California
Disable American Veterans DAV Thrift Store
1624 Pacific Coast Hwy Oceanside, California U.S.A.

Disable American Veterans DAV Thrift Store Outrageous High Prices For Used and Donated items Oceanside California

*Consumer Comment: D. A. V. ripoff

*Consumer Suggestion: Well said Chris and Cori!

*Consumer Comment: My Experience

*Consumer Suggestion: How dare a charity try to raise money

I recieve a flyer in the mail couple of months ago from DAV asking for donations of some items, so I decide to clean out the garage and some closets to help the cause.

While in the area I recently visit a DAV store in Oceanside. While walking around in the store I over heard several groups customers talking about how high prices are and some items have been there for months because of the outrageous high price on the item.

So I decided to walk around the store myself to check it out. I did notice the high prices and the condition of some of these items they are talking about. Some items were faded, and had holes in them and the price was still expense.These items are donations and used items and they are price like they are brand new. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor about the this situation. A short white older lady with glasses walked up to me. I ask her why these items are so expense, she told me, " You do not have to buy the items." and walk away.

I though that was rude and very unprofessional.I always though a thrift store should have good customer service and reasonable prices. Since the items are donations to the store The next time DAV send me a flyer in the mail asking for donations it will go into the trash. I would rather give the items to a homeless shelter or a needy family, then to a DAV, because I know they will not try to sell them for an outrageous price.

Michael
Oceanside, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2007 04:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Disable-American-Veterans-DAV-Thrift-Store/Oceanside-California-92057/Disable-American-Veterans-DAV-Thrift-Store-Outrageous-High-Prices-For-Used-and-Donated-ite-278101. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Disable American Veterans DAV Thrift Store

D. A. V. ripoff

AUTHOR: Valerie - (U.S.A.)

I used to manage a store in a strip mall that included a D. A. V. thrift store, in Mesa Az. It was the best priced thrift store in Mesa. When I moved to Eloy, about an hour away, I still drove back to mesa to go to that store.

When you buy electronics at most thrift stores you have 48 hours to return it if it doesn't work. I bought 2 VCR's and a TV at the Good Will in the texas town I live in now. The VCRs lasted a couple of weeks and the TV lasted about a month. So I was just out about $60.00 At the D.A.V. they fix the electronics befor selling them, I bought a 32 inch TV from them for $50.00 and it lastedalmost 5 years.

So you can't say all D.A.V.'s are to expensive, some are very reasonably priced.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Well said Chris and Cori!

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

I dont not think the OP understands the idea behind charitable foundations like the DAV. They have the right and the NEED to make money to help others. However, I am happy that you decided to donate to them. Everything helps.

God bless our armed forces!

My Experience

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

This is my experience with DAV. DAV represent AT NO CHARGE, any and all who ask for their help, in dealing with the government when it comes to claims. I find it amazing, but not surprising, that the government, the army in particular and other services AND the VA, all try and screw over our troops, who have been injured, out of their rightful benefits. Did you see the article last week about the reservists who were recalled/returned on the 729th day of their deployment 'cause on the 730th they would have been entitled to full benefits? Talk about a screwing over. The DAV will, AT NO CHARGE, go to bat for our troops. They will represent them in legal procedings. Years ago, when I was young, dumb and poor, they represented me in several legal hearing, explaing all my rights and getting me benefits I didn't know about. Years later, when I was more prosperous, I became a lifelong member. Over the years, they have represented me a couple more times, battling with the VA. I have referred a number of Vets to DAV because of their fine work. A number of them have gotten benefits that had been denied in the past. Several had thought of going to outside attorneys who would have charged them a hefty fee for the same service. One individual I referred, received $46,000 in backdated benefits. During this current war, there are tens of thousands of injured returning Vets needing assistance. I volunteer at a local VA hospital. So I know the deal and see Vets from WWII, Korea, VN and all the other conflicts we've been involved in. SO, if DAV wants to price their items a little high, more power to 'em. As the women said "You do not have to buy the items". You can always shop at the flea market or a garage sale to buy your clothes. God bless our troops and those navy guys too.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

How dare a charity try to raise money

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

Robert, do you realize that DAV is trying to raise money to assist people who fought for your freedom to file this complaint? They have to pay rent for their store, buy displays and clothes racks, cash registers, and maintain paperwork for reporting to the government. Should this be done for free?

If you would like to help them lower prices why not donate your time??

Instead you go in to see how much they are selling your DONATED items for. However they price them is their choice - remember these items are no longer yours.

Next time just give a money donation, you won't have to worry then about how expensive their products are!