Complaint Review: Educators Credit Union

• Submitted: Fri, November 03, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, November 03, 2006

• Reported By:Louisville Kentucky
Educators Credit Union
1400 N Newman Rd. Racine, Wisconsin U.S.A.
  • Phone: 262-886-5900
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Educators Credit Union Transferred funds without authorization or notice. Ripoff Racine Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: The right to offset

Educators Credit Union is a local bank located within south-eastern Wisconsin. I have had an account there for a couple years before I moved to Louisville, Kentucky. I have kept my account for the sake of transferring funds online and still being able to write checks from them.

About three weeks ago, eBay had decided to charge my PayPal account (as per a subscription agreement) the fees I had due upon creating an auction. My PayPal account had no funds in it, so they went with the back-up. They attempted to transfer funds out of my savings account at my bank which had no available funds either.

Days later I receive a notice from PayPal stating that my bank account had insufficient funds and that they would attempt again. My savings account was now in -$25.00 for an overdraft fee, and when they did it again after I told them not to, it went to -$50.00. PayPal stopped and then transferred it over to my credit card which was a few dollars short of limit - and THAT got me an overdraft as well.

I have tried contacting all three companies: CapitalOne, Educators, and PayPal. I have tried to get them to clear up this mess and they have all sent me in a run-around with the same response. "They have to call us. They have to call us."

I told ECU I would refuse to pay the overdraft fees in my savings. I had a certain amount saved in my checking for my rent and parking monthly fees. Without any warning or my authorization, my bank transferred funds from my checking account to balance the negative amount in my savings.

I have contacted ECU and told them to close my account effective in one week (which would be enough time for my checks to get cleared).

Anthony
Louisville, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2006 09:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Educators-Credit-Union/Racine-Wisconsin-53406/Educators-Credit-Union-Transferred-funds-without-authorization-or-notice-Ripoff-Racine-Wi-218928. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Educators Credit Union

The right to offset

AUTHOR: Aafes - (U.S.A.)

Read your account agreement. Almost without fail, every bank and credit union reserves the right to offset funds (transfer from an account in the positive to pay money due the bank on an account in the negative). When you sign the account agreement with this statement you give tacit authorization for them to use this method to pay debts to the financial institution.