Complaint Review: Elavon Aka Nova Information Systems

• Submitted: Wed, January 07, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, March 28, 2009

• Reported By:clearwater Florida
Elavon Aka Nova Information Systems
One Concourse Parkway, Suite 300 Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Elavon Aka Nova Information Systems Not closing account and continuing to take fees out of my checking account. Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: PCI Compliance fee requirement

*Consumer Comment: Follow-up to this report.

On Nov. 26th, 2008 I received a form letter from Elavon dated Nov. 20,, 200, that they were implementing a new charge to all merchanges to comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards compliance. The charge would be $135 annually for Trustwave Trustkeeper service to help with the compliance process, and would be billed to my account in December.

On the next business day, Nov. 28th, 2008 (Nov. 27th was a holiday), I called Elavon to cancel my merchant account to avoid this new fee. I was informed that the closure process takes 3-5 business days, so it would be December before the account was closed (in other words, they didn't give you enough time between their notice and the new month to close an account), but I would probably avoid the fee or could call back if it was charged. They sent me a form by fax to sign and return to close the account, which I did the same day.

Today, Elavon took out fees from my account for December, including $135 for the Trustwave service, and my normal monthly fee. I called and discovered they never closed my account. I had to fax them the paperwork again, and the service rep said he would present my case to a supervisor who would request a refund of my fee, but that I may or may not receive a refund. I'll also end up paying my normal $5 account service fee since the account is still open now at the beginning of January.

The service rep also informed me that if I had my bank block the charges by Elavon, they would submit it to a collection agency that would go after me, even if it were only for $5.

Vintagepostcards
clearwater, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2009 09:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Elavon-Aka-Nova-Information-Systems/Atlanta-Georgia-30328/Elavon-Aka-Nova-Information-Systems-Not-closing-account-and-continuing-to-take-fees-out-of-409078. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Elavon Aka Nova Information Systems

#1 Consumer Suggestion

PCI Compliance fee requirement

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

The issue of the PCI Compliance fee impacts EVERY merchant in the US that accepts credit cards. The rule was passed by the associations as a protection against some of the kinds of fraud witnessed against giants like TJ MAXX and others who had secure payment processors, secure web sites, but non-secure software.

In the past, only payment processors were required to prove their security met current standards. Now, the requirement also passes down to the individual merchant. If you switched to another payment processor, you likely had to or will have to pay a similar fee. I've checked competitors and found most are around the $125-180 range for the new annual certification. So $135 is certainly not exhorbitant. I also learned that the cost is a pass through fee, so the processor isn't generating profit from the requirement. Your Elavon letter told you that you did NOT have to use their preferred vendor, but did provide you with a link where you could access all Visa approved vendors to do it on your own. If you had done so as the letter indicates, you could simply contact customer service and fax them the certificate and the fee would be waived. It is also likely that your concern about the lack of time to close the account is due to your not opening the letter until weeks after you received it, since the letters went out and were dated on Nov 1.

Finally, as a merchant who has used Elavon even when it was Nova, and have tried companies like First Data and others before that, I would much rather pay the $135 or do it on my own and fax it in to them than to cancel an account and go to a company where i'll likely have to pay the fee there, but won't enjoy the same level of customer service that I have with Elavon. As per your rebuttal, even though it took a while to run up the ladder, this problem resulted in the matter being resolved for you. I can't say a competitor like First Data or others would have done that.

Follow-up to this report.

AUTHOR: Vintagepostcards - (U.S.A.)

Elavon did eventually make good: I have received a refund of the $135 and they have closed my account as requested.