Complaint Review: Manchanda Law Firm / Rahul Manchanda

• Submitted: Mon, January 05, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, April 12, 2010

• Reported By:Murrieta California
Manchanda Law Firm / Rahul Manchanda
80 Wall Street, New York, New york 2029 Century Park East, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 212-968-8600
  • Web:
  • Category: Lawyers

Manchanda Law Firm / Rahul Manchanda Provided poor representation and misrepresented itself. 2029 Century Park East California

I contacted Manchanda law firm after my brother was arrested and detained awaiting deportation. I explained that he did not commit any crime and was simply walking down the street when stopped. Raul called and said that this was a very easy case and before I know it we will have him released and home. He sounded good but I was to become aware that his ego far outclasses his law skills.

So, I signed a retainer and paid $5000 up front for their services. Needless to say that this was a huge mistake. First they told me to inform my brother not to sign anything, not to take voluntary departure and then let them handle it.

We had a court date on Dec 23rd and Manchanda informed me that they will have to fly a lawyer out of NY to CA to represent us but they clearly list a CA office on their website so when I asked about why a lawyer needs to be flown from NY they skirted the question. One of the main reasons we chose Manchanda was because they had a west coast office.

When the lawyer flew out she then advised us that we should take voluntary departure but by then it was too late as an expedited departure was issued on dec 12th without our knowledge. Raul insisted that we knew and withheld this information which is totally wrong because it was never explained to my brother and because of the advice from Manchanda my brother said he won't sign anything and with ICE not explaining what it was we had no clue.

Not only that but when the attorney was here in CA she mentioned she had another client to see that day. Why did I pay $1000 for her to fly out here if she had another client?. Why wasn't this cost split?. These are questions Manchanda so conveniently never answer.

Why would he tell us not to take Voluntary departure then change his mind when it is too late.

After the last phone conversation with a Manchanda lawyer it was determined that there is not a lot they can do besides file a petition to stop the deportation but he will not do that until we pay another $3800. Why was I not informed of the running costs and only recieved a bill after persistently asking for it? Why did they go over the $5k without informing us that we were over?

Then the bill was ridiculous in what it listed. For a 20min phone conversation they charged us $1050.

This company left us in a worse state than when we started and then try to put it on us and say it was out fault and we withheld information. By checking this website it is apparent that this company has a reputation for this sort of practice. Thankfully I have a new lawyer and they are fully aware of Manchanda's record.

Steve b
Murrieta, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2009 05:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Manchanda-Law-Firm-Rahul-Manchanda/2029-Century-Park-East-California-90067/Manchanda-Law-Firm-Rahul-Manchanda-Provided-poor-representation-and-misrepresented-itsel-408365. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Manchanda Law Firm / Rahul Manchanda