Complaint Review: Net Zero Internet Service Provider

• Updated: Tue, May 19, 2009

• Reported By:Mamaroneck New York
Net Zero Internet Service Provider
www.netzero.com Internet U.S.A.

Net Zero Internet Service Provider Fraudulent signup for Net Zero service with my debit card Internet

*Author of original report: Update

*Consumer Comment: There is a RipOff...

*Consumer Comment: No ripoff here. NetZero is not responsible for identity theft.

I recently received a CD in the mail offering an easy way tp sign-up to NetZero internet service. I did not request the CD, and already have an internet service.

I disposed of the CD in the trash. About a week later I saw a charge on my debit card for 9.94, issued by NetZero. An account in my name, paid for with money from my debit card, had been opned. This is a copy of how the charge appears on my debit card statement:

MC-UOL*NETZERO 866-841-1442
Posting Date: 05/08/2009
Amount: $9.94
Check Number:
Confirmation Number: 1090-508D-40MD-GHAG-82F

I did not sign up for NetZero at any time, in any way. I already have hi-speed internet service. Someone signed me up for Net Zero, apparently, using my debit card without my knowing.

Altho I spoke to customer service rep at Net Zero, and was told my account would be cancelled, and that my $9.94 would be refunded, I am very concerned someone was able to sign me up for Net Zero service using my debit card. I am also concerned that Net Zero, judging by my interaction with the customer service rep, seems not very concerned about this fraudulent use of a debit card to open an account with Net Zero.

My debit card has not been lost or misplaced for any time. There is no other person in my family who could have done so, since I live alone. I believe that the CD which Net Zero mailed to me had something to do with this incident.

Thank you.

John
Mamaroneck, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/13/2009 11:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Net-Zero-Internet-Service-Provider/internet/Net-Zero-Internet-Service-Provider-Fraudulent-signup-for-Net-Zero-service-with-my-debit-ca-451468. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Net Zero Internet Service Provider

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Net Zero refunded my money, but it's customer service said that how an account with Net Zero was opened is unknown. My bank customer service put the onus on Net Zero, and Net Zero blamed it on credit card theft. So far have no more incidences of credit card # theft ...

There is a RipOff...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

But it is not by NetZero, it is by the thief who used your account information to sign up for service.

Unfortuantly no company is going to spend the time to verify that each and every transaction is by the actual card holder. For all practical purposes this is impossible. While the person you talked to at NetZero probably wasn't that concerned. What does happen is that that account with NetZero gets flagged and NetZero will look at it to see if they can find out the real person. If they can they will prosecute them. But you will never find out because you are no longer out any money.

However, what you need to do is notify your bank ASAP. They should cancel that Debit Card and issue you a new account number. Because if this person(s) did this once, they will probably do it again if you don't stop them. This time may have only been $9.94, next time it may be $994.

No ripoff here. NetZero is not responsible for identity theft.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

How is Netzero responsible for the theft of your identity or the use of your stolen debit card number? NetZero is not responsible. NetZero like every other online merchant is not responsible for checking that is is really the cardholder that is placing the order.

Apparently somone had hacked into a database of a merchant for which you had paid a purchase or service using your debit card.