Complaint Review: Paramount Group

• Submitted: Fri, August 10, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, November 15, 2012

• Reported By:Piney Flats Tennessee
Paramount Group
1505 16th Ave S Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Paramount Group Nashville Scam! Poetry contest scam used to get writers to submit their work for a low quality demo! Ripoff Nashville Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: A pure scam!

*Consumer Comment: I have experienced Paramount Song

*General Comment: ParamountSong Contest scam or not?

*Consumer Comment: Song Contest Scam

*Consumer Comment: Paramount song Contest not a Scam

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: A True rip off all the way around

*Consumer Comment: Paramount Demo's

*Consumer Comment: Paramount Song Scam

*Consumer Comment: Nothing ventured .........nothing gained

*Consumer Comment: Paramount Group Song contest.

To all writers considering entering their lyrics or songs in Paramount Group's song writing contest at paramountsong.com. This is a scam to get an entry fee and your work. Then they send you a letter stating that you have won the Director's Award for your "wonderful" song. This letter and award is a "vanity" trick to get you to pay them to do a demo of your work so they can present it to the Nashville music industry. If you fall for this you will be out hundreds of dollars for a demo that is very low quality and with no hopes of anyone in Nashville seeing your work. Additoinally, the song contest is a scam with no real winners. The ones posted on the website are fake names. The Creative Director that will send you the "vanity" letter and contract is a rude and unprofessional individual that will simply blow you off if you are lucky enough to get him on the phone. I left a message with the President and never received a return call. I contacted the Better Business Bureau in Nashville and learned that this company has had six negative reports filed in the past 36 months. While their website seems to be legitimate, this is nothing more than a scam. Writer's Beware!

Piney Flats, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2007 07:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Paramount-Group/Nashville-Tennessee/Paramount-Group-Nashville-Scam-Poetry-contest-scam-used-to-get-writers-to-submit-their-wo-266710. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Paramount Group

A pure scam!

AUTHOR: Dale - (USA)

I have done research as well as my attorney has done so on this scam artist company. They do good only on demoes. Pay for that and nothing more and you will be fine. After investigating this company I found they will cancel your contract and remove you then collect royalties on your song and pay you $2.80 in royalties. They keep over 90% of your royalty funds. Then continue to collect on your song even after terminating your contract with Star Tune Records. Then pay you nothing for your work as they collect on your works.

They are con artist who know how to bypass getting caught by those who care to turn to the Better Business Bureau or Tennessee Consumer Affairs. Research for yourself then you will see the truth behind this company! Trust none of the lies or fake contracts they give. They know nothing about the music industry! They never put anyone in touch with any publishers or major recording artist. If you think for one minute they will put you with anyone in the music business you are sadly mistaken. They will drain you dry then laugh in your face. Poor business tacticts and no communication skills at all!

I have experienced Paramount Song

AUTHOR: Annticipation - (United Kingdom)

In 2005 I met with David Robinson in the offices at Paramount Song in Nashville. I was offered a songwriting contract for 4 of my songs. I had previously sent them a demo that I had recorded in the UK. I asked searching questions and my husband checked the financial viability of the company. However, I was still working as a nurse with a very heavy workload in an NHS hospital and I did not sign the contract. I have had communications from paramountsong.com fairly regularly ever since and I have entered their songwriting contests now and then only paying the entry fee. I won song of the month for July 2013 and my free prize was a recording by a Nashville singer (not named) of my originally submitted song recorded in the UK by a local talented musician and singer. I am fairly pleased with the result although to be honest I prefer my original submission, which is country music UK style. I am enclosing links to both versions as you can then judge for yourself whether there was any scam. I will add that the subsequent invitations to pay more for inclusion on a CD and inclusion in a video I did not sign up to as I am now a retired nurse on a pension and cannot afford to pay much. I am however a serious and enthusiastic songwriter, I write about 5 songs a week on average and run a songwriting group here in the UK for the U3A (University of the 3rd Age). The first link is to the prize and it has had 3,831 people listen to it: http://fandalism.com/annticipation/dvej the next link is to the original submission to the contest this has had 11,396 people listen to it: http://fandalism.com/annticipation/bWPb I have had nothing but positive experiences with Paramount Song but I believe that is because I have been ultra cautious and I am a bit long in the tooth to be suckered in to thinking that I might hit the big time. I never pay for music to be produced only willing to pay an entry fee. I am very happy to share with musicians that I am not really seeking to be famous and do not expect to make a lot of money although to make some ocassionly to supplement my pension would be a bonus! I have 118 songs on www.fandalism.com/annticipation    which is a free website for musicians, songwriters and vocalists and my songs have been listened to by over 660,000 people. That puts a smile on my face and the friends and helpful feedback I have from that site makes it worth my time and effort. I do not intend to stop entering contests run by paramount songs but only intend to spend just the entry fee per song. I hope that this has been a helpful report.

#3 General Comment

ParamountSong Contest scam or not?

AUTHOR: Ty - ()

I'm new to this site but have recently entered the ParamountSong.com contest for Valentine Love Song. For the entry fee I paid I really don't mind.. that being said.. I don't have mountains of money to give to these companies.

I wanted to point out that the BBB has actually given ParamountSong an A+ rating..

So before you go bashing this company and quoting numbers of complaints.. consider that like any business anywhere on the planet.. they will receive their share of complaints.

I'm only defending them as the facts state clearly they are in good standing with the BBB.

Whether I win a contest through them or not.. the opportunity is there and I appreciate it. I'm aware there are plenty of scams out there but at this point in time I don't see this as one of them. Time will tell.

Just my two cents.

Song Contest Scam

AUTHOR: Rod - ()

Whether or not it is a scam the contest winners are genuine. My wife Mavis Jackson of Grange Park Northampton,UK, a 68 year old retired nursing sister, with no musical background has won the July 2013 award of honour for her song 'Real Life Country Song'.

We understand that for her prize her song will be re-recorded by a Nashville singer (not necessary!) and will feature on a compilation album on itunes. We will not be contributing anything to the costs.

Some of her songs, written since her 65th birthday, are on fandalism/annticipation and she has had nearly 200,000 hits on this site.

Paramount song Contest not a Scam

AUTHOR: timk - (United States of America)

I read the report, accusing Paramount Song of running a scam with no winners, simply to bait consumers into buying expensive low quality demos of their songs.

I won the grand prize in the spring 2012 competition and was paid $500 and a free demo.  The check came promptly and cashed the first time through the bank.  The demo was, in my opinion, outstanding.  I have gotten a couple of other demos from them and they were good as well.

Understand, i have had no success selling my songs to publishers, but I realize that the chances of success are slim.  Let's face it, the chances of getting your song to the right person at the right time, and having them like it over the other hundreds of songs that are presented to them by people they know are miniscule.

As for the intent of the contests, of course they are designed to draw customers for their services.  Business is not philanthropic, investments such as these promos don't happen if there is not a profit to be made.  If you think the Publishers Clearing House Giveaway isn't profit driven, you are very naive.    I will say that while I won one contest, I did not win others and did not get the directors award or an invitation to have my entries demoed at a discount (or at all for that matter).

Paramount may somewhat overhype their services, but I have the deposit and the demo to prove that the Spring 2012 contest was legit.

#6 REBUTTAL Individual responds

A True rip off all the way around

AUTHOR: your worst nightmare - (United States of America)

Do Not enter any of their song writing contests. The song they pick is already recorded and released and is almost 2 to 3 years old the song that won in October of 2011 has already won 2 other song writers awards in 2009 and was recorded and released in January of2009. The singer/songwriter is  signed with Tate music group and since it is not a major recording label like columbia or rca they can win it is a big joke and a true rip off so do not give any of your songs to them in thier song writing contests as it says con tests and it is a con to get your money to pay the singer/songwriter that wins the contest and you stand no chance of wining or seeing a award.

Paramount Demo's

AUTHOR: Lyrics by J Rose - (United States of America)

I've been working with Paramount Group in Nashville for about 4 years now and you wouldn't believe the complimentsI get on my demo's they do for me. You can listen to them at mymusic myspace listed under songsbyjanicellc and make your own opinions.

Lyrics by J Rose

Paramount Song Scam

AUTHOR: Songwriter Girl - (United States of America)

I just wanted to share my views on this report. I have also "won" the director's award AND other "awards" and have received a letter stating that I had a "Record Deal" with StarTune Records...As I had in all the other letters I received from that company, looked for the catch and it didn't take long for me to find it...I'm from Nashville and I am in the music business, have a studio and worked for major record labels and have had my songs cut by others and feel that I have enough experience to answer your rip off report. Of course they are in the business to make money and yes, they will try any way they can to get you to use their services..I have moved from Nashville but still keep my connections there...I sent some songs in to Paramount Songs and the above is what I got in return, all I really wanted was an opinion, I don't need to spend money on demos because I have a studio and a wonderful producer however I still wanted to see if they were a legit company or if they were going to ask me for money...the demos I sent them were done in Nashville at a VERY reputable studio that many recording stars use so the quality of the demos are excellent...they said they liked my writing alot so they gave me a "record deal" the only catch was it was a digital deal and I had to pay for the opportunity... that is not a "record deal", I know first hand that you do not pay to get a deal, you get a deal either because you know someone in the right place or you are super talented, they pay you...the mentioned company also sent me letters stating that I had "won" studio time but again, I had to pay for that opportunity under the guise of what I had really won was a "Discounted Rate" WTF? I wrote on Music Row for years with very talented writers and you do NOT PAY to collaborate with writers, they either want to write with you or not...if you really want to get some collaboration it can be done without sending a check...I do it all the time...I don't know if the winner names are fake but it does sound like all they do is collect entry fees and advertise their demo services...there are many companies like that in Nashville...I don't know the quality of their demos either...good luck with your lyrics...the music business is very hard to get into unless you know the right person...there are other songwriting contests that I believe to be legit so don't give up!! I know several small studios in Nashville where you can get a demo for a lot less than what Paramount is charging...

Nothing ventured .........nothing gained

AUTHOR: Jim - (United States of America)

I have been fortunate enough to also win the " directors award along with contracts for my work and a contract for a record company .

It must be very hard for some of us to realize that though we may Love what we write and get good comments from friends and family we MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY HAVE WRITEING/SINGING abilities .

One must also understand that said company is in business to make money . Unless you are fortunate enough to be what I will call super-talented or know someone in the business it is highly unlikely you will ever be noticed . Still and all I suggest that nothing ventured is nothing gained .

Each and every letter/e-mail I have ever sent has been answered promptly and with courtesy . I am sure that with writers flooding them from around the world they are inundated with mail .............it takes time and money to answer that mail !

I will close with this .  I for one am glad that I have found a venue to try and market my songs even if they never never achieve the success that I wish them to . Paramount.............THANK YOU !

Paramount Group Song contest.

AUTHOR: Skip - (United States of America)

I wanted to tell you about my experience with Paramount Group. I found out last week that I was the Grand Prize winner for 2010. I read the comments about Paramount Group and figured I wouldn't see my prizes. Today I received everything they promised me including a nice check. So far they have lived up to their obligations. Good luck all!