Complaint Review: Publication Unlimited

• Submitted: Fri, March 27, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, August 13, 2012

• Reported By:corpus christi Texas
Publication Unlimited
3357 NW 53rd Court Fort Lauderdale, Florida U.S.A.

Publication Unlimited Constant Unauthorized Subscriptions to Magazines Fort Lauderdale, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Gulfbay magazines and Publications unlimited are the same

I received a phone call from a company I thought I had done business with to confirm some information. It turns out I *unknowingly* signed up via phone to receive magazines for 5 years, by paying 3.85 per month... which turned out to be almost $70 per month. I tried to cancel, but instead, was prompted to renew!!

After a year, they tried to get me to pay more (which I refused) and after about two years they called and told me I had not paid them enough, as I had canceled that credit card. I told them I had paid them more than enough and had never actually received a bill or authorized payment by signing anything. The man got very angry and rude with me and I eventually just hung up the phone, because he literally yelled at me to give him my credit card number!! Additionally, he told me that I should have canceled with the company after 90 days, which was over two years ago, and which I had tried to do way back then to no avail.

Also, during the conversation, I did ask them to cancel everything--every subscription and every bit of information! They said they could NOT cancel anything, because it was "paid in advance." But they could change the magazines whenever they wanted. (Which is obviously a lie; if they can change it at any time, then they do not have a contract with the magazine for such time.)

I am constantly getting new subscriptions to magazines that I have not authorized. I got better homes and gardens, women's fitness, and another craft magazine. All of which, I was unable to cancel with the magazines themselves.

I was able to contact Publications Unlimited via a 1800 number I was given for canceling the craft magazine, that is after about a week of calling. But have not been able to get through the line since to cancel any others. I have tried these two telephone numbers, which either ring indefinitely or automatically get a recording: 1800-242-3475 and 1800-267-2611

It is my opinion that they acted fraudulently to get basic information, posed as a legitimate company, and issue unauthorized magazine subscriptions in an attempt to get you to pay them later on. They lie, and say they are unable to cancel your subscriptions, so that you feel obligated to pay them. You might think they are free, but later on Publications Unlimited will demand payment for them. They provide a "way to contact" them, which is completely bunk, just to appear legitimate. However, they are not.

I suggest, if possible, to have nothing to do with them. If you are unfortunate enough to have to deal with them, do everything you can to put a stop to their un-businesslike behavior.

Mac
corpus christi, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/27/2009 03:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Publication-Unlimited/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida/Publication-Unlimited-Constant-Unauthorized-Subscriptions-to-Magazines-Fort-Lauderdale-Fl-438392. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Publication Unlimited

Gulfbay magazines and Publications unlimited are the same

AUTHOR: fanny - (United States of America)

I am currently a victim of them too, and i dont sleep at night because of them, I am only 19 and going crazy about all of this. I already tried calling them too same story too, they said that they could not cancel because they paid in advance which i they didnt informed me of and now im stuck with anger, junk magazines that i did not wanted and a subscription that i did not signed to.  The idea you had to called the original magazines companies was smart I have called one of them so far and they said that i apparently have a subscription now i am not sure if i should keep on calling the rest or what. Its a shame that the actions of these people go unnotice and people like your mother and I have to go through this. Best wishes and thank you for sharing your story.