Complaint Review: RthFamily Dollar

• Submitted: Fri, July 01, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, July 31, 2005

• Reported By:KINGS MOUNTAIN North Carolina
RthFamily Dollar
FamilyDollar.com Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.A.

Family Dollar ripoff Charlotte North Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Have you applied for a DM position?

I am a store manager for this company and I wonder why out of 19 districts we only have 6 women as dm's.

I read on here about this woman from mexico that she was always an anytime 5....bull what volumn do you run? how much isyour payroll? I've been here for over four years and I to have had several stores. I don't really like the way we have to pull 52 hours minumum and our vacations are based on 48 hour weeks. I don't like the fact that I manage a 2.1 million store and most of the time I only have payroll for 1 cashier and me on the floor
and my store is over 8000 square feet. You do the math. The law suit that they have had a mistrial states that we managers occasionally stock, run register, etc. That is bull...we do it all...Glorified Stockers that is what we are. Thats all for now.

Julia
somewhere, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2005 05:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RthFamily-Dollar/Charlotte-North-Carolina/Family-Dollar-ripoff-Charlotte-North-Carolina-148169. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RthFamily Dollar

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Have you applied for a DM position?

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Have you applied for a DM position? I don't know if they are actually discriminating against women or not. I never felt that when my husband and I worked there. I felt we were all treated equal, on the management level. Now, when my husband was a Store Deveolpment Supervisor, I heard comments that would qualify as age discrimination, so I can't honestly that I KNOW Family Dollar does not discriminate on a sex basis.

However, I do know that a DM's job requires a lot of travel and of the female managers that I personally knew, only one of them did not have children at home to care for. Point being, I am wondering if maybe the reason there are fewer female DM's may be because of the travel and excessive hours which may discourage some women from even applying due to their familial status.

As for their vacation pay... at the time that we worked for the company, managers were on salary, so the "hours" didn't really matter. My husband's vacation check was the exact same amount as his regular paychecks. My vacation pay was also the same, but I was also an hourly employee. I never went into management. It was offered but I turned it down.

I agree that the managers do perform ALL duties that any of the other employees do and then some, but that's management. I am a manager now with a different company, which I will not name, and it is the same way here. When my husband managed Dollar General, it was the same way. When he managed O'Reilly Auto Parts, it was the same there. Same for CarQuest Auto Parts. Even McDonald's is the same way. It's called management. It means we have more responsibilities than other employees, it doesn't mean that we are any better or that we should not have to perform actual work for our salaries. Manager's typically are paid more than the other employees also!!! So, technically, we are higher paid laborers with more responsibility.