Complaint Review: Shell Gas Station On Eau Gallie

• Submitted: Wed, May 20, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, May 20, 2009

• Reported By:Palm Bay Florida
Shell Gas Station On Eau Gallie
201 E Eau Gallie Blvd Melbourne, Florida U.S.A.

Shell Gas Station On Eau Gallie Sneaky/Scamming Employees Melbourne Florida

*Consumer Comment: your anger is misplaced

Just wanted everyone to beware of the dishonesty of a local Shell gas station.

Last night I stopped to by cigarettes for my mom at the Shell gas station on Eau Gallie, just over the causeway. I handed the clerk my debit card, and she asked me debit or credit. I told her debit, and she asked me if it could be ran as credit. I told her whatever, it would come out of the same account. She ran my card, I signed, and left.

Then I got to thinking about it, and realized the math didn't add up for my purchase plus tax, so I checked my receipt this morning. Evidently, by running my card as credit, I got charged an extra 25 cents. Now, I know .25 is just change, nothing major. The scamming dishonesty to make that extra .25, after I had told her debit, did bother me.

So, I called the store to speak to a manager/owner about the employee who had rang me up charging me for running my card the way she wanted, just to make that .25, without disclosing the extra charge. The person who answered the phone told me the manager/owner was not there, would not give me their name, and adamantly refused to give me a corporate number or any kind of customer service info.

Anyone with any kind of retail or customer service experience knows that customers are entitled to that kind of information. In this information age, anything can of course be found online. So needless to say, I was able to make my complaint to the Shell corporation, even with the employees attempt to prevent it.

Now, as I said, .25 is just pocket change, nothing to get worked up over. I wasn't looking for a refund or anything, just honesty and disclosure about extra charges. When you take into account how many people they have gotten that .25 from, probably me or my husband many times, that adds up to quite a bit. Especially if the same owner has more than one store.

So just be aware of the independently owned (by barely speaking English people) gas stations and convenience stores charging you extra to use your card as credit... Like the interest rates on actual credit cards don't get enough your hard earned money.... Not to mention the typically higher prices at these stores.

Angela
Palm Bay, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/20/2009 08:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shell-Gas-Station-On-Eau-Gallie/Melbourne-Florida-32937/Shell-Gas-Station-On-Eau-Gallie-SneakyScamming-Employees-Melbourne-Florida-453634. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shell Gas Station On Eau Gallie

your anger is misplaced

AUTHOR: Hugh Jass - (U.S.A.)

The store doesn't keep that 25 cents for itself. Thats a fee your bank charges you. Please know what you're talking about before you spout off.