Complaint Review: Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Submitted: Sat, October 06, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, October 06, 2007

• Reported By:Mira Loma California
Specialty Merchandise Corporation
996 Flower Glen Street Simi Valley, California U.S.A.

Specialty Merchandise Corporation Tricks, Deception, Lies Simi Valley California

August 30, 2007 I became a SMC member for $499.95 . This amount was immediately charged to my credit card on August 31, 2007. Initially, I was informed that my 30 day trial period would not start until after I receive the Kit. Later, I was informed that the 30 day trial period began at the time of my order and I would have until 9-29-07 to return the merchandise to receive a full refund. I received my kit on 9-10-07.

But first, I must follow SMC's elaborate return policy, i.e. "return the kit with $100.00 insurance to SMC 13230, San Bernardino Ave, Fontana, Ca 92335, then send a cancelation letter with the tracking number to SMC, 996 Flower Glen Street, Simi Valley, Ca 93065. I followed these instructions and returned the kit with the requested letter on 9-11-07.

I made several telephone calls to Bobby, Charles, and Felix to make sure my letter was received. Their response was "yes it was received but we have not posted it yet." Bobby then began to explain that I had credits that I should use, "why throw these free products away, you can give them to charity, a friend, etc." I explained to Bobby that I did not want the credits just my refund of $499.95. Bobby assured me that the products I receive would not affect my refund. I questioned why would SMC just give me something for free when I was canceling. Bobby's response was "that is how the program works, believe me you will get your full refund of $499.95 because you canceled within the 30 day trial period."

On 9-27-07 my credit card was credited with $305.17. I immediately contacted SMC. SMC informed that I was charged with a $20.00 restocking fee, a 10.00 refusal fee and a charge was deducted for the products I received with the credits in my account which Bobby had tricked me into thinking that this would not happen. I explained to the representative what had happened. He then said he was new and would have to pull the tape to listen to the conversation. I asked to speak to the Supervisor, Christine. Christine's mailbox was full. My guess is that they will not find the tape.

I then explain that I would return the products to SMC. SMC then stated you will be charged again with a $20.00 restocking fee and a $10.00 refusal fee. These fees were not explained to me prior to purchasing nor are they stated in the 30 day return policy.

I informed SMC that I would report them to the BBB. SMC's response was, an unconcerned "ok".

Lillian
Mira Loma, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2007 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/Simi-Valley-California-93065/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-Tricks-Deception-Lies-Simi-Valley-California-277474. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corporation