Complaint Review: Spirit Airlines

• Updated: Sun, July 29, 2012

• Reported By: PC — Pembroke Pines Florida United States of America
Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines Flight Check-in Ripoff Internet

*Author of original report: Clarification on details

*Consumer Comment: Why must you know and why must you rebutt?

*Consumer Comment: Why.

I could not check in to my flight via the kiosk, got a message to see the agent.  Agent said I was late (not true when I arrived, but it was by the time I waited through the line to see her).  Non-refundable ticket, so I had to rebook the same flight again the next day since they claimed all other flights were full until 24 hours later.

Here's the kicker:  After being told that the flight was full and therefore refused boarding to the plane, I got a text from my friend who was also booked on the same flight informing me that he was late getting to the airport but they allowed him to board and he was the last person on the plane (boarded 5 minutes before departure time) and that there were empty seats on the flight.  Apparently these people discriminate against allowing some people to board late but not others.

I have never flown with Spirit Airlines that they didn't strand me somewhere.  I was only stooping to flying with them because I was flying with my friend, but I will never use them again.  Whatever you save in price is not worth their lousy customer service and selective boarding practices (discrimination).

Do yourself a favor:  pay the difference to fly with a respectable airline and stay away from these liars.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2012 11:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-Airlines/internet/Spirit-Airlines-Flight-Check-in-Ripoff-Internet-917634. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit Airlines

Clarification on details

AUTHOR: PC - (United States of America)

If you want to learn something from this report, then dont be so histrionic and dont make assumptions.  Both my friend and I went to the kiosk.  Both of us checked in online.  I asked him what time he arrived and he told me that he got there *later* than I did, which was supported by the fact that he got to the gate 5 minutes before the plane left.  Since we were in a large airport and there are many counters, there is no reason to assume we would see each other.  Both of us were informed by the kiosk to see an agent, so Im sorry to dispel your ridiculous HAL 9000 claim, but the decision was made by a person in both cases.

The fact that two people were treated differently under the same circumstances (despite your best efforts to assume otherwise in ignorance of the facts) is what constitutes discrimination.  The difference is that with both passengers in the *same* situation, one was allowed to board and one was not.  Hence, their policy was applied differently.  That is discrimination.

If you choose not to see that or not to gain anything from this post, then dont.  It is your right to remain blissful.  But dont make ignorant assumptions and ridiculous conclusions in an effort to dramatize and fictionalize the situation for those who do want to get some valid advice here.

Why must you know and why must you rebutt?

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

You can just butt out and the world will still go on spinning, without you having to know about every post.

Why.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

So according to your theory, their Self-Service checkin kiosk must be a decedent of the HAL 9000 because it was able to determine from some unknown factors to "discriminate" against you telling you to see an agent.  It selected you particuarrly because it knew the exact time it would take you to get to the Agent, and knew that you would then be late.

So under what parameters did HAL use to select you for this "discrimination"?   Did he not like your age?  Your Sex?  Your destination?  Please tell us as I am sure it can only help other Spirit customers from getting discriminated against.

As to your "friend".  Perhaps your friend checked-in on-line.  After all if they were as late(or later) than  you and hadn't checked in wouldn't you have seen him at the Ticket Counter and Kiosks?  Or did they further discriminate against you forcing you to a separate area that no one else was forced to go there so you never saw your friend?

What would the purpose of this action be?  Is it your claim that they just want to randomly tick off customers because they have nothing better to do?

By the way I would never fly Spirit either, but nothing you have made in your claims show any sort of discrimination.