Complaint Review: Square

• Submitted: Mon, October 22, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, October 22, 2012

• Reported By: Mike Wood — Clinton Tennessee United States of America
Square

Square squareup Withholding funds due to you. Not paying you as promised Internet

Count my company as one of the many small companies injured by Square's less than transparent policies regarding holding funds.  I have been injured both as a consumer and as a retailer.  See below:I purchased a new shop truck for my business.  I did not have the cash on me (weekend transaction) so I helped the seller set up a square account.  We then manually entered my CC info and processed a $10,379 transaction through square.  This was on September 15.  Square had debited my credit card within the hour for the full amount.  Yet, it is now October 22, and Square has yet to pay the seller.Not realizing what a problem this might cause, I had paid off the credit card transaction three days after making it.  Now American Express (an investor in Square, by the way) says that there is nothing that they can do for me because, by paying off the debited amount, I "authorized the transaction in full".I am now having to borrow the money from another source to make the seller whole.  This will put me out almost $21,000 with no idea when I will get the "fronted" money back.Then, as a seller, my wife took a SWIPED transaction through Square for $4,000 on Friday, October 19.  Square debited the buyer's credit card within one hour of the transaction.  Their policy clearly states that the money should have been in my account this morning and that there are "no limits on swiped transactions".Not only is the money not there, but Square actually withdrew $400.00 from my checking account.  My wife had inadvertently run the sale at $400 instead of $4000.  So, she issued an immediate refund of the $400 and re-swiped for the $4000.  Again, not only did Square NOT deposit my $4000 transaction, they WITHDREW the $400 for the "refund" from my checking account.Then, Square sent us a "congratulations" e-mail saying that our CNP (manually keyed) limit was being raised to $3,003 per week.What freakin' difference does it make if they never pay you?  It could be $1 or $1M...what would be the difference if you never get your money?These two sets of transactions have crippled my small business and basically locked down my bank account.They are impossible to deal with.  The phone number is a joke.  Each time you e-mail, you get an auto response with a "case number" that is a joke.  It changes each time you e-mail, even if you reference every "case number" from your previous complaints.This company is a predator.  They are trading with your money and not paying out.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2012 01:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Square/internet/Square-squareup-Withholding-funds-due-to-you-Not-paying-you-as-promised-Internet-958372. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Square