Complaint Review: Stream Energy And Ignite Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, July 22, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, June 26, 2012

• Reported By:Tomball Texas
Stream Energy And Ignite Inc.
PO BOX 192746 Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Stream Energy And Ignite Inc. DO NOT SWITCH TO STREAM ENERGY !!! THEY CHARGE RIP-OFF VARIABLE RATES Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: I'm saving with Stream Energy

*UPDATE Employee: Just Like Anything Else

*UPDATE Employee: Rates

*Author of original report: Do not switch to Stream Energy. It charges ripoff mnonth-month rates

*Author of original report: Do not switch to Stream Energy. they charge rip-off month-to-month rates

I switched to Stream Energy month-to-month electric service plan in 5/2008 when my neighbor, an Ignite Inc. saleman, told me about the company. He showed me a price list compared Stream to major electric providers such as Reliant, TXU, etc... In that list, Stream rates are always afew pennies lower than their competitors in every plans. Well, that is far from the truth.

While I was under the impression that Stream rate is 0.14/Kwh they actually charged me 0.18/Kwh on my May bill and 0.22/Khw on my June bill. For both months, the rates are 4 cents higher than my old provider. This is completely contradic to the price list shown to get me to switch. I called Stream today to complain and they told me there is nothing they can do about it. Yep. Bend over and take it.

So please do your research and STAY AWAY FROM STREAM ENERGY and its middeman, IGNITE INC. I would have paid about $60 and $90 less for the two months if I stayed with my old provider.

I registered to switch to another provider but that won't happen for another month. I'm bracing for their last robbery.

Dave
Tomball, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2008 09:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stream-Energy-And-Ignite-Inc/Dallas-Texas-75219/Stream-Energy-And-Ignite-Inc-DO-NOT-SWITCH-TO-STREAM-ENERGY-THEY-CHARGE-RIP-OFF-VARIA-354150. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stream Energy And Ignite Inc.

I'm saving with Stream Energy

AUTHOR: PERRY A - (United States of America)

I switched to Stream 11/1/11 when they started doing business in NJ, and I have averaged about a 16% savings. When I signed up I locked in a 12 month rate of 9.9 cents per KWH. PSG&G's rate has been in the range of 11.2 to 12 cents depending on the month in that time span. They have great fixed rates in NJ and PA, areas I am familiar with.

If you switched in the summer in Texas (where it's ungodly hot) and were afraid to lock in and opted for a variable rate, then YOU set yourself up to bend over. Stream's variable price will only go up if the market trends up, which means Reliant, TXU etc.'s rates went up also. Did you have access to their rates to compare your rate?

The fact of the matter is the monopoly energy companies were the the people who were ripping you off when you had no choice, and they could charge top price without fear of losing customers. It happened even after energy deregulation was enforced, people did not understand it so they didn't change. What Ignite has done is to inform customers of the options, generating customer movement therefore prompting the old monopolies to lower their rates and thus benefiting ALL consumers. Do the research and see for yourself.

When we feel we are being taking advantage of as consumers we sometimes cry ripoff, instead of getting all the information. I have found Stream Energy to be an excellent company and I'm happy to be doing business with them and not with a monopoly.
Oh, also my mother-in-law in Philadelphia was locked in till July 2012 at a rate of 9.6 cents per KWH. A month or 2 ago Stream lowered the fixed rate to 8.8 cents per KWH and allowed her and others to re-up effective immediately. Now I ask does that sound like a ripoff? I think not.

Just Like Anything Else

AUTHOR: apavacic - (United States of America)

I am a Stream/Ignite Associate and would like to comment to the complaint "Stream/Ignite is s Scam" Stream the actual energy company and Ignite the network of associates used to market the company are both very legitimate and legal. No Scam here.

It is unfortunate that because of so much trickery and greed in the world today that when something happens to a consumer (and things do happen) that the word "SCAM" gets tossed in the mix so quickly and readily.

For this consumer it sounds as though the associate who led him to sign up with Stream did not maybe take enough time to explain or make sure his customer understood the two choices for signing on as a customer.

You have the option of a month to month variable rate, which just like an ARM adjustable rate mortgage has the potential to move up or down. The advantage of that option is that you are not locked into the company for a year and you MAY possibly pay a lower rate than the lock in rate, but than again, as seems to be the case here your rate may go up, thus the term variable rate.

The other option is to lock in a rate for a year and then no surprises, but you are locked in.

This is followed up by a compliance phone call to make sure that you requested the switch (NO SLAMMING) and it absolutely shows you what you are signing up for.

This is no different language than you will find in many industries and businesses.

The problem is sometimes we myself included do not take the time to read and understand ourselves what we are signing up for.  Case in point..my husband and myself signed up with a Security Systems Company...the representative at least to my recollection did not highlight the fact that we were locking in for 2 years...you know how we are all so busy and sometimes we just kind of skim over things and expect someone else to relay the info for us...(Shame on us)..well I decided my two dogs were enough of a Security system and I hadn't even been turning the system on so I wanted to cancel it...No problem Customer Service told me, BUT I would have to pay the balance of the remaining contract or sell it to someone else I know. Well I was mad...but after I cooled off I thought who should I really be mad at...if I had of taken the time to really read the terms and ask any questions of what I did not understand..then I would have made a better decision for me..whether I really wanted it or not.

So I offer that Stream is a good company, they offer a good business opportunity, and I hope that all of our Associates are taking the time to completely inform their potential customers of the contract language. I am totally transparent with my customers and that is ABSOLUTELY the way the company wants us to be...no door-2-door, no slamming, No tricks here.

Rates

AUTHOR: Martha - (U.S.A.)

Hmm. You switched during a time when gasoline prices went sky high and so did the cost to generate electricity. If you had stayed with your old provider you would have been disappointed as well. Your best bet, and the best way to have saved money, would have been to sign up for a fixed rate contract.

Do not switch to Stream Energy. It charges ripoff mnonth-month rates

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

My third bill from Stream Energy just came in. It's a whopping $541. I'm shocked and upset at myself for letting the neigbor talked me into switching to Stream Energy. I had never paid over $375 for any month with my former utility provider for many years.

While Stream Energy listed the month-month rate of 0.14 to 0.15 kWh for my area it charged me 0.18/kWh in May, 0.22/kWh in June, and 0.22kWh in July. The result is this company robbed me $60 for May, $90 for June, and $140 for July.

What makes me even sicker is there is a company called Ignite Inc. out there trying to expand the customer base for Stream Energy. Ignite Inc. pays peanuts to its sale representatives to pressue their neigbors and relatives to switch to Stream Energy. The representatives are paid something like 50 or 75 cents/month for each customer recruited. Compare to the minimum $60 Stream Energy robs each customer per month that is truly peanuts.

Do not switch to Stream Energy. they charge rip-off month-to-month rates

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

My third month bill from Stream Energy came in. It's a whopping $540!!! I had never paid over $400 for any months with my former service provider, Reliant Energy, for many years.

The first month I used their service Stream Energy charged me 4 higher than Reliant Energy. The second month was 5 cents higher. And this month is 7 cents higher. These numbers don't sound much but they raised my bills 25% to 35% higher when taking 14 to 15 cents/Kw rate from Reliant into consideration.

For my house, the everage monhtly electric usage of 15000 to 18000Kw results in Stream Energy robbed me $60 to $100 per month. Yes, they robbed me $60 to $100/month so that they can pay $0.75/month to the greedy Ignite Inc. sale representative who got me to switch.

For a company that doesn't want to spend money on advertising you would expect it to pass that saving to its customers by charging a lower rate. That is not the case with Stream Energy. Stream Energy is out to rob its customers to make a quick buck.

What's make me sicker is Ignite Inc. is out there trying to expand Stream Energy's customer base while paying peanuts to its employees. I have nothing against the people who work for Ignite Inc. or Stream Energy. I just hope you realize that you are being used by thieves.