desperate

• Submitted: Thu, December 07, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, December 07, 2006

• Reported By:Charleston South Carolina
Travel Agents Direct
Charleston, South Carolina U.S.A.

Travel Agents Direct I'm not sure they are a scam but it felt funny. ripoff Charleston South Carolina

*Consumer Comment: You were absolutely correct in trusting your instincts

I recieved a phone cell phone call from a May operator number 212. Who was offering me a free plane ticket anywhere and a free hotel stay because I had purchased a plane ticket online through one of their partners. I puchased a plane ticket through travelocity.

She asked for my account number and routing number to verify that I had a open checking account. I told her that I would not give her that information that I work for a bank and everyday I see people getting ripped off because they trust other people with important information. She told me they had a Star machine (what they run checks through to verify them) and she would run the information through there to make sure my checking account was open.

I told her I could buy my own plane tickets and that I didnt need her to call back and I hung up the phone. I'm not sure this is a scam but with everything I have been tought in training with my job I knew something wasnt right.

Michelle
Charleston, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/07/2006 07:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Travel-Agents-Direct/Charleston-South-Carolina-29412/Travel-Agents-Direct-Im-not-sure-they-are-a-scam-but-it-felt-funny-ripoff-Charleston-Sou-224162. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Travel Agents Direct

You were absolutely correct in trusting your instincts

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

This was indeed a scam. They would'be drained your bank account dry. They would have claimed you signed up for some type of insurance, or travel club, and deducted hundreds from your account.

NEVER NEVER NEVER give your account info to an unsolicited phone call. If someone calls you and wants to 'give' you something, believe in this... Free cheese only comes in mousetraps!