On my grandma's phone bill, she had 1 charge of $40.00 for 2 minutes on Jun 1, 2005, number 900-444-0221 at 12:09 am. I knew that no anyone else was in the house that had placed those calls, especially not at 12.09am, except that the computer might be on!
The charges were from "Web AccessZZ" thru "Integretel, Inc." as explained by BellSouth, who said I should contact the company. There was a number to call listed on my BellSouth bill if the charges were disputed.
The number was 1-800-736-7500. I called and got a voice mail that said that I had reached Integretel and their offices were closed, but to enter my area code and phone # to see if they would be able to assist me. As this seem odd on a Saturday, I decided to do more research over the Internet and found the exact report here.
I proceeded no further with attempting to call them and sent this link to BellSouth at their customer service website. After 3 days, I received a reply from BellSouth that indicated they will credit the amount. I will wait to see if BellSouth completes their promise before considering this case closed.
As a computer programmer, I have found that all the dial-up connections on the computer have been changed to dial 011-40 (Romania) numbers as well as 900 numbers. As such my nieces had to manually type in the ISP number for the last week without knowing the reason why.
As a quick solution, I would disconnect the phone jack when computer is not in use. Get your computer check for virus and spyware.
To remove the dialer virus was not easy. After several attempts to isolate the virus, I had to kill 2 services, one dialer and one "sleeper cell" that wakes up and recreates the dialer. If you are experienced with MS Windows, you can use a combination of Task Manager to End the Processes and Hijackthis to delete the services.
Deerfield Beach, Florida