Complaint Review: Family Credit Counseling Corporation

• Submitted: Thu, July 26, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, July 26, 2007

• Reported By:Sacramento California
Family Credit Counseling Corporation
4850 N State Rd 7 Lauderdale Lakes, Florida U.S.A.

Family Credit Counseling Corporation Thanks for ruining my credit rating, FCCC! ripoff Lauderdale Lakes Florida

*Author of original report: RE: Comment

*Consumer Comment: Re: comment

I signed up with FCCC in April of 2003. At the time, I was making all of my payments on time, but I was concerned that my balance on one account had gotten out of hand.

51 months later, I received a notice from one creditor that I've completed the program and my balance will be zeroed out. The other says that I still owe $16,000 and that my account is past due. Based on what FCCC has been taking out of my account every month, I show that I've overpaid that account by about $2,500.

I first called FCCC on June 1, and was told they'd send the issue to their disputes department, and that I'd hear back from them in 3 to 5 days. I gave them a month, and then I wrote a letter to Jack Armstrong detailing the problem and demanding that they send me a detailed account history, showing when each payment was received and when it was paid out. I mailed the letter on July 3.

On July 12, I called again. The CSR I spoke with agreed that basic math indicates that there's a problem. She also told me that although one account is paid off, they'll still be taking the same amount out of my checking account and supposedly applying the rest to the other creditor. She told me someone would call me back.

Shortly after that, I got a notice of a class action settlement. After reading through the documentation and the original complaint, I see that I'll be getting a whopping $40 back if I agree to the settlement.

I called today, July 26, and asked to speak to a supervisor. When I mentioned that I'd sent a letter to the president of the company, the customer service rep transferred me to his office. His assistant started going on about interest, blah, blah, and how they didn't have any record of my letter, so I asked for a fax number and told her I'd fax a copy. She said she'd look into it and I made her commit to contacting me again no later than Monday. I faxed the letter just now, along with a copy of the letter from Amex and a note saying that I was aware of the lawsuit and that I'm planning to submit a statement to the court that the proposed settlement is inadequate.

I'm now considerably worse off financially, both because of the late payments they made and because of the huge amount (20% of my monthly gross income) that they're deducting. I was appalled when I learned that I'm far from alone, and that even with the settlement, we're still going to be screwed over by these fraud merchants.

Nancy
Sacramento, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2007 03:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Credit-Counseling-Corporation/Lauderdale-Lakes-Florida-33319/Family-Credit-Counseling-Corporation-Thanks-for-ruining-my-credit-rating-FCCC-ripoff-Lau-263434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Credit Counseling Corporation

RE: Comment

AUTHOR: Nmw - (U.S.A.)

At the time I started, the percentage they were taking out was less. I moved cross-country, though, and changed jobs. I called them to see if it was possible to re-negotiate the agreement, and they told me no, and basically scared me to the point where I thought I had no choice but to suck it up and deal.

I'm the first to admit that I have money management issues. I went with FCCC because I get confused and frustrated when trying to sort out financial stuff. At this point, I don't know if it's possible to get myself out of this without a lawyer.

Re: comment

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

You've been paying these people 20% of your gross income for four years and you're just now becoming aware that there are problems? There is nothing that a debt settlement firm can do for you that you can't do for yourself.