Complaint Review: godaddy.com

• Updated: Mon, September 27, 2010

• Reported By: Tom — Cupertino California United States of America
godaddy.com
14455 N. Hayden Rd. suite 219 Scottsdale, Arizona United States of America

godaddy.com go daddy.com Take over my domain name and asked for more money to renew Scottsdale, Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: GoDaddy RipOff? I think not...

*Consumer Comment: Your Fault

*General Comment: Are you serious?

My domain has expired < 1 month duee to my credit expired, I didn't get automatic renewal.

I received an email from godaddy.com for renewal, but when I logged my domain got taken by goDaddy.com.

I called the support, he told me in order for me to renew I have to pay extra $80 to get the domain back.

How can a domain provider took over the client domain even it's expired.  I don't might other has purchased it but not the domain provider.

THe asked me for extra dollar ($80) even though my annual renewal only is USD 9.95. This is a total rip off and bad business ethic.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/22/2010 09:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/godaddycom/Scottsdale-Arizona-85260/godaddycom-go-daddycom-Take-over-my-domain-name-and-asked-for-more-money-to-renew-Scotts-643193. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on godaddy.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

GoDaddy RipOff? I think not...

AUTHOR: Daos - (United States of America)

Greetings -

I have been with GoDaddy as a customer for 8 years now and have never experienced a problem with them.  I was originally a client of Network Solutions & VeriSign and found their user interface and customer support was nowhere near as friendly as GoDaddy.  If you are unfamiliar with the business of domain registrars, then I suggest you do your homework.  It is a big business to purchase domains, cash park them, auction them, or outright sell them.  I recall that the domain blue.com sold for nearly 7 million dollars.

A solution to prevent any future incidences would be to keep all your payment information updated and check on your domain every now and then through the friendly user interface GoDaddy provides.

Be more mindful and use common sense before posting an article.  While I understand it can be frustrating to lose a domain, there is a level of accountability that you must incur for your inaction.

Your Fault

AUTHOR: Dustin - (United States of America)

I have had domains with Godaddy for years.

They go though a-lot of effort to help you from loosing your domain.. every domain I let expire ether due to non-payment or auto-payment failed due to card on file I have gotten at-lest 1-3 follow up emails giving last chance to get the domain back at no extra charge (one domain I got a last chance email almost 3 weeks after it expired) They often call the number on your account as well to make sure you know, they have done this a few times to me and I almost hangup on them because It sounds like a scam call until i hear the company name come up, Godaddy calls are very casual sounding for the most part.

As for paying $80.00 thats minimal and should consider yourself lucky.. If a Domain collector or Shark had jumped on your domain first you could be looking at $500.00-$500,000.00 To get your domain back.. I lost one of my domains I ignored the calls and emails mostly because I was busy at the time.. A domain collector got the domain and said he would sell it to me for $5,000.00 I said he could keep it.

#3 General Comment

Are you serious?

AUTHOR: Mick - (United States of America)

You ARE kidding, aren't you? You let your domain name expire and complain that they took it back.