Complaint Review: great expressions dental center

• Submitted: Tue, July 29, 2014
  • Updated: Tue, July 29, 2014

• Reported By: kim — powell Tennessee
great expressions dental center
1616 west cape coral pkwy #115 cape coral, Florida USA

great expressions dental center misled patient for unnecessary procedures and charges cape coral Florida

I was new to the Cape Coral, FL city and the dentist in this clinic on W Cape Coral Pkwy (part of a national chain) was listed by Humana as being in my network. Set up appointment and went for a semi-annual exam and cleaning. I had a good dental exam and X-rays just 6 months prior and so refused to take any additional X-rays in this visit. After consulting the front office, the hygienist came back and clearly assured me that I would not have to pay for the X-rays if I allowed her to take them. The statement after the visit also showed a zero patient charge for the X-rays.

A month later, the clinic sent a bill to me for the X-rays. They actually submitted a claim to Humana which they obviously knew or should have known would be rejectred. The front office had examined my dental card and called Humana about my coverage before I was even admitted into the exam room. Even worse, the amount for the X-rays in my statement (which they should have absorbed based on their assurance to me before the procedure) was much smaller than the amount they tried to bill Humana. These numbers are all on record.

To top it off, the dentist then used the X-rays to "justify" her recommendation of perio scaling and root planning. These procedures would cost several thousand dollars. And of course, she refused to clean the teeth !

I said "justify" because i have a nephew and sister in law who are dentists (out of state) who saw the same X-rays and told me that the scaling and root planning procedures were not needed.

You can now in retrospect figure out how this dentist and clinic are operating their business. I protested to the corporate office to no avail. What we do not know is whether this business model is being promoted by the corporation or it is being done by just this clinic. But we know that being a national chain, whatever extra profits, justified or not, a branch clinic gets, profits the corporation as well.

So beware of promises even from what should have been honorable professionals. Its amazing how a few dollars can corrupt the integrity of some people.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2014 07:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/great-expressions-dental-center/cape-coral-Florida-33914/great-expressions-dental-center-misled-patient-for-unnecessary-procedures-and-charges-cap-1165747. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on great expressions dental center