Complaint Review: Mike's Garden Center

• Updated: Tue, September 15, 2009

• Reported By: melody — roanoke Texas USA
Mike's Garden Center
114 Southlake, Texas United States of America

Mike's Garden Center Mike's Nursery Stay Away from Mike's Nursery!!! The owner Mike Cook knows he sells bad quality plants & will not ever respond to calls or complaints!! Southlake, Texas

I unknowingly purchased a tree from Mike's Garden Center that was infected with Borer Worms..  Within 2 weeks of planting the tree neighbors, family and I noticed how sick the tree actually was.

When I called the Southlake, Tx store that I purchased the tree I was given completely different answers & opinions by the staff each day I called in.  Each person told me to do something different than the salesperson before, so I called a landscaper out.  He told me that I purchased a sick tree and that anyone that sells trees should have been able to know immediately what was wrong with it by my descriptions.

The store manager, Paul, told me to bring pics & leaf samples to him.  At the store he gave me a bottle of Borer Worm killer for free to help save the tree.  However; it was too late- my tree died.  During this time I was asking that if the tree didn't make it, that I would be given a new tree in exchange for the sick one that they sold me or to get a refund. I was told that the owner Mike Cook would be the only one to make that decision.

I called Mike Cook at first every other day and then eventually everyday up to 2 times per day. He is such a coward and dishonest business owner that he would not return any of my calls or even come to the phone after his receptionist told me he was in the office. He completely avoid all my calls.

After calling for 2 months straight, I asked Paul to call Mike Cook for me.  The resolution Paul passed down to me from Mike Cook is that I could buy another tree & the nursery would plant it for free.  I can't believe the nerve of this owner! After all the calling and hell I have gone through to keep this tree alive & he wants me to come back in to buy another tree!!

The nursery guarantees the trees ( I found out after the fact ) only if they plant it... My salesperson told us nothing of a guarantee but did tell us not to use Mike's Nursery to plant the tree because the cost was ridiculous & outrageous. He told us that we could get any landscaper to plant it cheaper because Mike's charges half the cost of the tree & it wasn't worth it.

I have since filed a complaint with FTC about Mike's not advertising the guarantees on the plants that they sell.  The manager told me today that there are signs now over the registers.

Do not buy your plants, trees, etc. from the company! You will regret wasting your money..  Besides being disgusted about buying poor quality plants, I'm appalled that a business owner in today's time is so dishonest, cowardly & shameless in his business practices.  He would rather have a completely dissatisfied customer & have others ( my entire new neighborhood & my future neighbors in my still being developed neighborhood ) hear & know of what kind of business he runs..

It's sad when a businessman ( even this bad one ) is not willing to replace a tree that I purchased for 300.00 to keep a customer or to gain new ones.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/15/2009 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mikes-Garden-Center/Southlake-Texas-/Mikes-Garden-Center-Mikes-Nursery-Stay-Away-from-Mikes-Nursery-The-owner-Mike-Cook-495384. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mike's Garden Center