Complaint Review: Apria Healthcare

• Updated: Wed, May 06, 2009
  • Reported By: Houston Texas
  • Apria Healthcare

Houston, Texas

Apria Healthcare CONTRACT FOR MEDICARE COMPLIANCE/PRIVATE INSURANCE BILLINGS, INTRUSION IN MY LIFE Houston Texas

Senior Citizens using Medicare for CPAP Machine in Texas: the following is my experience in Texas dealing with Apria, Private insurer # 1 & Medicare #2 insurer. Had sleep study, prescribed CPAP, private insurer # 1 accepts Apria. When making appointment, Apria asks our age, insurance & if we had Medicare. Private insurer # 1 HMO pays Apris @ $750 for CPAP machine. Apria is billing Private insurer # 1 HMO @ $64/month for unknown services. WE WERE FORCED TO SIGN CONTRACT that if we did not meet "compliance" required by Medicare, WE WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING @ $100/MONTH TO APRIA. From researching online, it seems Apria is "leasing" the CPAP with Medicare for a certain # of months [12?]. During this time we have a "smart card" which keeps track of the hours of usage. IT IS NOT EASY GETTING USED TO SLEEPING WITH A MASK BLOWING AIR IN YOUR NOSE & takes quite a while to accomplish a full nights use of CPAP.

RECAP: Private insurance # 1 HMO pays for CPAP machine & is still being charged a monthly fee for ?. Medicare/Apria have a leasing contract for which Medicare pays Apria an unknown amount for leasing me the machine. I have to be in "compliance" or I will be charged @ $100/mo for ? months. I have contract with Apria [which I should have never signed]. Apria is in control of our life with the CPAP machines. Senior citizens should not be dicated in this manner by our government or any company.

I've read that compliance is necessary because senior citizens do not use much of the equipment paid for by Medicare. I regret getting involved with Medicare/Apria. Apria & it's employees are very poor communicators with no customer service skills.

Confidential
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/06/2009 11:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/apria-healthcare/houston-texas-77090/apria-healthcare-contract-for-medicare-complianceprivate-insurance-billings-intrusion-in-449234. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content