Complaint Review: Big Apple Herpetological

• Reported By: New York New York
  • Big Apple Herpetological
    415 Oser Avenue Building F
    Happaugue, New York

Big Apple Herpetological This company lied to me about the condition item I returned to them Happaugue New York

I recently placed an order with Big Apple Herpetological, an online pet supply company specializing in reptile (herpetological) related items.

I ordered some lighting equipment for my snakes from their online catalog, but when I received these items, I discovered that they were misrepresented in the company's online catalog, as they were of inferior quality. Since the lighting equipment was cheaply made, and not worth what I had paid for it, I decided to return it for a refund.

As per the company's return policy, I called up the company for a return authorization number, but I was given a hard time by the person who I spoke with. They tried to talk me into keeping the items, and when I told them no, I was told that I would have to pay for return shipping, and a 10% "restocking fee" would be deducted from my order. I told them that I would accept their terms for the return of the item, and I sent the item back to them via UPS.

The company received, and signed for my return 2 days later, but after two weeks had gone by and my credit card still had not been credited for the return, I once again called the company. At first, they told me that they had not received my return, but when I told them that I had proof that they had received my return, they told me that they would have to "look for it". Well, I gave them two days to "find" my return, and when I called the company again, they said that they had located my return, but there was a problem.

They claimed that the item was returned "incomplete", and was not in "re-sellable condition". This is untrue, as I had returned EVERYTHING which they had sent to me, including all packaging and paperwork. They said that they could not issue me a refund, and they would send the return back to me if I would like (at additional cost to me, of course).

I told them to keep the return, as I would pursue other means to obtain my refund. I submitted a chargeback to my Citibank Visa card, and I have been issued a provisional credit pending the outcome of their investigation.

If I were you, I would not do business with these disreputable liars!

George
New York, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2007 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/big-apple-herpetological/happaugue-new-york-11788-3637/big-apple-herpetological-this-company-lied-to-me-about-the-condition-item-i-returned-to-th-268001. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content