While living at Carrington Court for over three years I had not encountered too many problems, but when I moved out it was a different story. I had heard of other tenants being scammed by this company, but I never thought that they would attempt to take advantage of me when I moved considering the immaculate record I had with them as a renter. When I moved I was told by office management that I was a "great tenant" and I "should have nothing to worry about." I later received an invoice claiming that I was responsible for over $ 2000 worth of phony undocumented damages. Luckily, I held onto my move out inspection which clearly shows that I am not responsible for any damages beyond normal wear and tear. Ultimately, I will be going to court in order to get back what is rightfully due to me, because corporate ignores my dispute regardless of the evidence I have against them. Unfortunate for my family we will not have this money in time for the Christmas Season. Carrington Court/Hayloft property has an extensive history of taking advantage of individuals that may not be aware of their rights as a tenant. Here are some steps to protect yourself if you decide to rent from Hayloft Properties.
1. Save all of your paperwork
2. Go over your move in with a fine tooth comb. Do not miss anything, because they will hold you responsible for damages from a prior tenant if you miss it. Don't rush through it.
3. When you move keep move out inspection and takes pictures of absolutely everything just in case they add charges later or try and blow the charges out of proportion, which they will.
4. Know your rights contact the Tenant's Union, legal rights offices, Attorney General, Home Line, Better Business Bureau.
5. Do not be afraid to stand up for yourself, they will attempt to bully you. If you are low income counties will waive filing fees. Take advantage of this.
6. Also visit the following sites for additional information pertaining to your rights: http://www.mncourts.gov/district/2/?page=1114 http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Minnesota/faq.html
7. Protect yourself, do not be intimidated, Show up for court. If you do not they win by default.
Dispute charges within 10 days of receiving invoice via certified mail. Visit the following website for a free template to dispute charges:
****DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF****
This company attacks those that they feel may not defend themselves. They are essentially making financial gains off of those that are lower or middle class. Thieves that take from the poor and give to the rich. They own buildings in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. All the profit that they make and they have to rob me and others of our chump change deposits. Truly Sad!!
Sorry about writing a book, but what happened to me is an absolute injustice and I want to provide as much information as possible, to prevent this happening to anyone else. This has got to stop and the common man must take a stand against these thieves!! Take care and god bless.