Report: #637304

Complaint Review: HFN Associates

  • Submitted: Fri, September 03, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, November 30, 2010
  • Reported By: Gary — Norwalk Connecticut United States of America
  • HFN Associates

    United States of America

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

Hi, I recieved settlement offer from a 10yr old account and reluctantly paid it. After doing some research I came across Ripoff Report. I realize I may have been scammed, could someone please get back to me and let me know what steps if any I can take to try to get my money back if this is indeed a scam? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Is this Ripoff Report About you?
Ripoff Report A business' first line of defense on the Internet.
If your business is willing to make a commitment to customer satisfaction Click here now..

Does your business have a bad reputation? Fix it the right way. Corporate Advocacy Program™

Set the record straight: Arbitration Program

SEO Reputation Management at its best!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/03/2010 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
Also a victim?
Repair Your Reputation!

Updates & Rebuttals


#1 Consumer Comment

Wrong about SOL Rozzy.

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

A 10 year old account in any state is well beyond the statute of limitations for any collection agency to pursue legal recourse


Wrong!  The SOL for consumer debt in the U.S. is between 3 and 15 years, depending on the State.


Respond to this report!

#2 Consumer Comment

Keep a copy of your record of payment anyway

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (United States of America)

This was most likely zombie debt. I don't know if you paid the settlement in full or if you accepted an offer from the company for less than the full amount. As pointed out earlier, the debt was beyond the statute of limitations (SOL) for almost every state,except possibly one. Check your state's SOL so you know for the future. AND check the terms and conditions for the debt you just paid, because sometimes the T&C's allow the collectors to use another state's SOL.

By paying this debt, you have opened yourself up to possible further liability because you have reset the SOL for this debt. For example, if the collector said they will take 40% to settle the debt, and you paid the 40% - the junk debt buyer (JDB) can sell the other 60% to any other JDB for further collection from you. It is a favorite of the JDB's to offer an attractive "settlement" to restart the SOL and then sell the debt to someone to continue to dun you for the rest of the debt owed.

Keep your paperwork. If this JDB or another collector comes after you, then you have proof you paid it. Keep your copy of the letter and the proof of payment. Next time, don't be so quick to pay old, out of statute debt.

Respond to this report!

#3 Consumer Comment

You got scammed

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

LVNV is one of the worst third party scum bag debt collectors - They buy old out of statute of limitation debts for pennies on the dollar and try to reage them - They got you therefore this will appear on your credit report

Visit for more information

Sorry your money is gone

Respond to this report!

#4 Consumer Comment

You were most likely ripped off..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

You did not leave enough specifics in the report to conclude this with 100% accuracy..but it seems you were scammed.

A 10 year old account in any state is well beyond the statute of limitations for any collection agency to pursue legal recourse..unless you were connived into paying anything and or committed to pay anything. That in effect can turn the "clock" back to zero.

I know this won't help you now..but it may help others who read this report to avoid is how it should work..

1) reluctance and suspicion
2) investigate
3) pay if required, do not pay if not required

Here is what you did...

1) reluctantly paid regardless if required to or not
2) got suspicious
3) investigated

That is why you may have been ripped off. You rearranged the steps to work against you...

Respond to this report!

#5 Consumer Comment

Did you send a checkor MO

AUTHOR: Steph - (USA)

If you paid by check or money order you can put a stop payment on it if its not too late. I would call the bank ASAP on doing a stop payment .
Respond to this report!
Ripoff Report Recommends
ZipBooks Accounting Software

Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.