Complaint Review: menards of st joseph MO

• Submitted: Fri, December 21, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, December 21, 2012
  • Reported By: ''time brings all things to light'' — oregon Missouri United States of America
  • menards of st joseph MO
    4320 commonwealth drive
    Saint Joseph, Missouri
    United States of America

menards of st joseph Missouri menards security/trinity security josh huffman wrongfully accused of shoplifting and extorted for finiancal restitution for 150 dolllars all over a 3 dollar hat i had tried on and forgot to take off. Saint Joseph, Missouri

*Consumer Comment: Choices

I was christmas shopping with my wife and two kids at menards tonight and had tried a hat on to see if it would be comfortable ,well as we went through the checkout lane and proceeded to get our rebate forms  i was told that i needed to come with the security guard(trinity security) and a manager at that point my wife realized why the menards and i mean it said menards on it along the tag hanging off the hat was still on my head i laughged and said oh yeah the hat i forgot all about it. but apparently that was too late not even have left the store yet. i was escorted my security and two others including a manager to the back room and they went on to question me about the hat. as i told them this was just a simple mistake as i told them i always wear a hat for hair loss reasons  they said that it is standard procedure to detain me in the room and give me a 150 dollar fine or call the police on me.Only out of pure heartbreak of seeing my 2 year old daughter see the police take her daddy did i comply with this.

This is by far the most disgusting  thing i have ever been and seen a company do guess menards will do anything to get those low prices such as extorting their customers. I do not plan on paying their fine, any legal advice help or advice on this would be extremely appreciated as i believe this is the

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2012 03:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/menards-of-st-joseph-mo/saint-joseph-missouri-64503/menards-of-st-joseph-missouri-menards-securitytrinity-security-josh-huffman-wrongfully-ac-985596. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Choices

AUTHOR: LPO-Gotcha - ()

From reading your submission/confession it is a clear cut case of retail theft. I would certainly hope that you fully cooperated with the civil citation by this time as it is just past 6 months from when you stated it happened. Yes, the situation as you stated could appear as a simple mistake however by wearing the hat through the store not only poses health issues but shows intent to possess. All that is needed to prove theft is that intent was present. Once you pass the last point of sale with any unpaid product you have now committed retail theft.

I have worked in retail loss prevention for quite a few years now and have seen these things go very bad for the offender if they do not take the free pass and avoid the mark on their record. If you were to happen to not pay the civil and are seen in the store by the Loss Prevention Officer he could elect to detain you and convey you into the custody of the local police department and charge you with theft. It would be a slam dunk case as it is all but guaranteed that he already has a DVD of the offense on file and the fact that you elected to not pay as agreed to when you signed the civil citation.

In my area all arrests earn a photo in the paper and all of the associated embarassment that goes along with it. I personally enjoy my contributions to that.

If I were you I would contact the Menards Corporate Office and explain the situation. I would defeniately recommend that you pay for the hat as you did wear it and offer to pay a smaller fine. Often they will accept such as an acceptable recourse.