This "lawyer" is a real piece of work.
First off, I'll write to the folks at Avvo so he can be unlisted. His latest blog post shows how delusional this person is. He only has good reviews on Avvo, which I think he fabricated. When I told him I'd found him there, he still tried to have me sign a retainer within minutes and seemed very nervous I asked to reflect on it, so much that he offered me a discount.
Yet, Avvo being probably his main client source, that's what he tells of his "satisfied and genuine clients".
"Avvo and its like. These kinds of things do generate phone calls, but rarely rarely from clients youd want. For whatever reason, the calls and emails from these kinds of sites tend to be from people who are unwilling to pay what their defense is going to cost, or who are more than usually deceitful, or who are looking for their third lawyer after being dumped by the first two, or who are looking for their fourth lawyer after dumping their first three, or who are suffering from schizophrenic delusions, or who insist on free legal advice, or who otherwise want something for nothing, or well, you get the picture. These are the bad clients from the internet. You dont want them. Your job is stressful enough without them, they demand far more of your time and resources than they should time and resources you owe to your other clients, and they are never good for your bottom line if you care about such things.Yes, it generates a number of calls and emails. Almost none of which a sane lawyer would want to take."
It shows how a pompous person he is. In fact, he's definitely the worst lawyer I encountered.
I made a poor decision in hiring him, based on the fact that he didn't appear to "hardcore" sell his services as some do, and that he had worked with the DA's office which according to him, made him the best choice and justified him "being very expensive".
I regret that my distressed state of mind led me to hire him versus a more "traditional" and aggressive lawyer;.
He is very ill at ease and shy when you meet him, strangely his name is unknown at the registration desk, nor does it appear anywhere in the office he shares".
He pretended to not know I was coming from Avvo, or that he was well rated here and comes on top of searches|. This white lie was a red flag|. Nathan Burney gets ALL of his clients through Avvo.
By the way I have asked Avvo to look into his reviews which I find very surprising.
The main issues I faced with him :
- he only responds per email, often after a week or two. He will never, ever pick up the phone, so don't expect reactivity. He failed to respond to other attorneys I then hired to make sure my case was going in the right direction.
- while I didn't particularly expect sympathy, he became plain rude and unresponsive the minute he received the retainer.
- he hardly took any attention to my case, as he "was busy writing a book". The only reason he took me on was to finance his lifestyle but he could not show more disinterest in what was happening to me, and the blatant and obvious fact I was wrongly accused by my spiteful ex.
- his lack of attention and available time resulted in his total failure to negotiate anything (which takes time and understanding of the case). In fact, he was indeed the DA's best friend and besides sending rude and contemptuous remarks, he never lifted a finger to close the case in my favor.
- he never read all the material I sent him to give strong arguments against my ex's ludicrous claims.
- he took the opposing counsel's first offer and left it at that, and did the same thing with the DA. Of course, because that required no effort.
- to top this all off, he refused to give me any court paperwork and the judgement!
I would strongly recommend you think twice before hiring him.