Complaint Review: National Action Financial Services,

• Reported By: New Lebanon Ohio
  • National Action Financial Services,
    165 Lawrence Bell Dr. STE 100, PO Box 9027
    Williamsville, New York

National Action Financial Services, Tried to collect on a debt that is not even mine! Williamsville New York

I began getting phone calls from a place that did not identify itself over the issue of a debt that I supposedly owe. One call was from a woman and the other was from a man. They were both left on my answering machine. I had no idea why they were left!

Within the same week I received a letter in the mail from National Action Financial Services, Inc., which attempted to collect on a debt in the sum of $17, 348.83, with the named creditor being Discover 49NF. I have never even had a discover card.

So then I called the company. A man answered the phone with "Hello" and I had to ask him what company I was contacting before the guy identified the company being National Action Financial Services, Inc. The man then automatically identified me without me even saying my name.

He transferred me to another man who was 'handling the account'. The other man immediately identified me and asked if he was correct. I said yes, he then proceeded to try to match up my social security number over the telephone. I refused to give him my number but agreed to tell him that the last four digits he gave was incorrect. He said that he had the wrong person and for me to disregard the debt collection notice.

I then called Discover who checked my name and social security number to ensure that my identity was not stolen. They reassured me that although they have several card holders by the same name as me, none of the social security numbers match up. I was unable to get Discover to tell me whether or not they use National Action Financial Services, Inc. as one of their debt collection agencies.

Is this company legit or is it a scam by sending out bogus debt collection notices then trying to obtain personal information over the telephone? If National Action Financial Services, Inc. is a legitimate collection agency then their collection practices are clearly undesirable. I would suggest that the company make sure they are contacting the right person before they pursue any debts owed. Their blanket-mailing of debt collection notices to everyone with the same name in hopes to reach the right individual is completely inappropriate.

Susie
New Lebanon, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/15/2007 11:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/national-action-financial-services/williamsville-new-york-14231/national-action-financial-services-tried-to-collect-on-a-debt-that-is-not-even-mine-will-285023. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content