Complaint Review: National Readers' Service

• National Readers' Service
    P.O. Box 3863
    Shawnee, Kansas
    United States of America

National Readers' Service Treasure Coast of Fort Myers, FL Signed us two times for a subscription order, that we did NOT order and billed our credit card ridiculous charges! Shawnee, Kansas

*Consumer Suggestion: Kansas Attorney General files petition seeking jury trial against Publisher's Renewal Service dba National Readers Service aka Treasure Coast Renewals, et al.!!!!

This company somehow got my son's Visa number and started billing him $39.90 a month for "magazine subscriptions".  When we called the company, we were told that my son authorized the orders...These orders were for 4 year subscriptions for magazines that he would not have read in 100 years and one was for an order for a magazine that we already have a subscription to.  No magazine has ever arrived in the mail.  I called them and told them I wanted to stop it, and they said they couldn't refund our money, that we WERE supposedly receiving the magazines and they supposedly have a recording of my son ordering these that they could not produce.  They have his social security number and personal info about him and his father, such as where they work...all stolen information.

I called back a couple months later and they said we had reordered the magazines!  They said there was nothing they could do because they had already paid the magazines!  They were planning on charging him $957.60!  I

do not know how to stop them, but I am going to post this on every site I can, contact the Attorney General's offices in Kansas, Florida and Illinois. We have already cancelled the VISA card, but when we disputed it, Chase says it was legit charges...So we have to challenge that again!  These people are ruthless.  My son even got a call from them apologizing for others calling him (which no one has) and annoying him trying to get him to extend his subscriptions.  My son put me on the phone and the man from Treasure Coast refused to talk to me and hung up on me!  It is very frustrating!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2010 06:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/national-readers-service/shawnee-kansas-66203/national-readers-service-treasure-coast-of-fort-myers-fl-signed-us-two-times-for-a-subsc-549724. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: D/ - (USA)

Mary,

Excellent advice!! Enough reports of fraudulent practices to the Federal Trade Commission and Attorneys General and these companies DO eventually get noticed.

Kansas Attorney General filed a petition on 12/30/09 listing National Readers Service and Treasure Coast Renewals, Inc. among several defendants and is demanding trial by jury for a multitude of issues. Specifically mentioned are FTC "Do not call" violations and, regarding Kansas residents, inappropriate credit card charges, cancellation refusals, collection attempts after cancellation notice or ceasing payments, and referral of such accounts to independent collection agencies (Leubke, Baker and Associates is specifically mentioned) to name a few. Read the whole document at: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/01/06/Commerce.pdf  Perhaps Chase would find it interesting reading as well??

Dont be discouraged dealing with these people. I was able to successfully resolve my daughters dispute with National Readers Service, Pittsburgh, PA in August 2009 by very straightforwardly informing them that they had already been reported to the FTC and of my intentions to report them to the AGs, National Consumers League, Better Business Bureau, etc. as well. If they wont talk to you, dont take that as the last word, send your notification in WRITING by certified mail with return receipt. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.

I received notice from the Attorney Generals office in Pennsylvania that a file has been opened in response to my report of National Readers Service, Pittsburgh.  It will be interesting to see if anything comes of that as well.

Helpful complaint submissions links and detailed suggestions can be found on theNRSscam blog.

Good luck to us all,   D/

www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com