Complaint Review: Toshiba USA- support center

• Submitted: Thu, August 16, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, August 16, 2012
  • Reported By: Christine — Washington District of Columbia U.S.A.
  • Toshiba USA- support center
    1171 Montague Expressway
    Milpitas, California
    United States of America

Bought a Toshiba netbook in December 2011.  May of 2012 the hard drive crashed for unknown reason.  Light usage,  just to browse the internet.  Product carries a one year warranty. After several phone calls to Toshiba support, I finally got a repair order generated.  One week later I get an email telling me that their technician found "liquid on keyboard and hard drive":    I must pay $220 to replace  damaged parts.   I smelled a BIG rat,  but I authorized the repair anyway.  I asked that the  damaged hard drive and keyboard be returned to me along with the repaired netbook.  Toshiba refused!!! Now I know for certain  I've been  ripped off!!!  I read  a rip off report  filed  by another victim who reported  the exact experience as mine.  Shame on Toshiba, I am reporting this to Better Business Bureau.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2012 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/toshiba-usa-support-center/milpitas-california-95035/toshiba-usa-support-center-dishonored-1-year-warranty-on-netbook-milpitas-california-928354. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Only ripoff here is from team rebutt

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

one day maybe something, anything would be helpful butt I doubt it coming from the same people.

I don't know why Toshiba wouldn't return your damaged parts, but...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

spills into electronics are very evident, when the unit is disassembled...there is NO mistaking what happened.

I've worked in consumer electronics repair for MANY years and it's unmistakable and rarely reversible.

The liquid and the electricity flowing in the electronics turns into a bluish-white sticky substance that corrodes the circuit board and the leads on the parts. It looks pretty close to the residue found on car battery terminals.

Sorry for your misfortune, but it's doubtful you were Ripped Off.

" Now I know for certain I've been ripped off!!! I read a rip off report filed by another victim who reported the exact experience as mine.."
It's a sad fact that a lot of spills occur into computers.  Some companys don't even allow liquids around their computers for that very reason.