Complaint Review: United Online Collection

• Reported By: anonymous — Granada Hills California United States of America
  • United Online Collection

Woodland Hills, California
    United States of America

United Online Collection Netzero I received a fraudulant for $19.90 from Netzero. I am not a customer of this company. Woodland Hills, California

I recently received a report from United Online Collections stating that I owed them $19.90 and if I didn't pay within a certain length of time, they would turn this account over to a collection agency.  The problem is that I do NOT have an account with them and do NOT owe them any money.

One of the interesting things about this alleged "bill" is that they sent it to my former address, and addressed it with my maiden name.  I had looked into this service approximately two years ago when I got a new computer, but decided to stay with my current (at that time) internet service provider.

I called the number provided on the alleged "bill", only to find out that it is simply a recorded message asking people to send their payments to an address in Woodland Hills California...there was no customer service representative to speak to...I was just cut off after the recorded message played.

Obviously I am not going to pay this, but I am curious about what recourse I have.  I do plan on sending a copy of the alleged "bill" with an explanation to the state attorney general's office and I also will be sending an explanation to the company about why I am NOT paying them this amount.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/05/2011 12:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/united-online-collection/woodland-hills-california-91365/united-online-collection-netzero-i-received-a-fraudulant-for-1990-from-netzero-i-am-no-785067. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content