Complaint Review:

• Updated: Wed, August 09, 2017

• Reported By: Anthony — Tampa Florida USA
Zander Insurance Group
Internet USA

Zander Insurance Group Jeffrey Zander Bait and Switch on Disability Quote Nashville Tennessee

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

I went through the online quote submission with this insurance agency for disability insurance and was given a max benefit amount of $3660 per month based on my income, and a quote. I proceeded to fill out the application. The next day, I received an email with the proposed policy coverage and a NEW quote, which was around $136 a month. No big deal. However, after reviewing the coverage, it said my benefits were as follows:

Total Disability Monthly Benefit $1,860
Supplemental Disability Income Rider Monthly Benefit** $1,800
Total Monthly Benefit $3,660
* 180 day elimination period for the SDIR
** less any Social Insurance Benefits received (described in Rider Descriptions section)

So basically the benefit is really $1,860 a month because if I file for social security disability, the "supplemental disability income rider" will be reduced by whatever social security pays me, which according to my latest SSA report, would be around $1800 a month.

So if I want to eliminate the "supplemental rider" my benefit would be $1860 and the premium would be $83.68 a month.

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED IN WRITING BEFORE THE APPLICATION WAS TAKEN!

The benefit amount when I went through the process was $3660 and there was no legal wording or an asterisk about a reduced benefit rider. Since my income is well above the $3660 the policy pays, of course I would file for SSA benefits. I never would have filed the application and gave them all of my personal info if I had known upfront about this reduced benefit rider. In addition, social security should have nothing to do with this purchase! The SSA benefit is my benefit I have paid for all my life. The insurance company is a private company and has no connection with SSA and I should be able to get $3660 AND my SSA benefit if needed.

And let's just say I decided to keep the policy the way it is, and in four years I have to use it, and I also elect to file for social security disability, there is nothing written about getting any kind of premium refund for the amount of the supplemental rider benefit I would LOSE. So in essence, they get to charge $136 a month for $3660 in coverage, but don't have to worry about any premium refund if my benefits are reduced.

This is almost like a violation of TILA law, except this isn't financing. But there is no disclosure of anything before the app is taken. Of course not!! In insurance, they set goals for the number of applications taken! Who cares about disclosure? Get them hooked and deal with the explanations later.

BE AWARE.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2017 09:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/zander-insurance-group/internet/zander-insurance-group-jeffrey-zander-bait-and-switch-on-disability-quote-nashville-tenn-1391497. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Zander Insurance Group