• Report: #191929

• Submitted: Wed, May 17, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, August 13, 2006

• Reported By:Salem Oregon
24 Hour Fitness Center
451 Lancaster Dr NE San Ramone, California U.S.A.

24 Hour Fitness Center ripoff San Ramone California

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: former 'desk monkey', couldn't agree more ..I can attest to the veracity of everyone's claims here. When I was first hired, I wasn't actually 'trained'. It was more like a 15-minute run-through - I handled tons of complaints from members who had tried to

*Consumer Comment: I was ripped off too

I, too am in the long process of terminating my membership with 24 Hour Fitness Center, this one in Salem, Oregon. The desk people seem to be trained to become dumb right away. No one knows how to cancel, but they gave me a card with an 800 number to call. Guess what? I am re-directed to a 900 number and am told by a recorded voice that the call costs $9.95 for three minutes. I asked the club employees about this and yes, they become dumb again. So, the credit card that my monthly payment is charged to is paid off and I was going to cancel it anyway, so that may be the way to go if registered letters and other suggestions from fellow victims don't work. I will post a follow-up when the process is complete. My warning to all of you is that this company is not ethical. Do not join this fitness center.

Oregonian
Salem, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2006 09:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness-Center/San-Ramone-California-94583/24-Hour-Fitness-Center-ripoff-San-Ramone-California-191929. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness Center

As a former front desk employee (part-time college job, thank you), I can attest to the veracity of everyone's claims here. When I was first hired, I wasn't actually 'trained'. It was more like a 15-minute run-through of some of the procedures, not including membership cancellation. Many botched cancellations later, when a new manager came on staff, I was officially trained in cancellation procedures.

What this entailed, at the time (about 2 years ago), was getting out the 'member concerns' book, filling out the log sheet, and handing the member a card with that infamous 800 number on it. I eventually learned the reason individual clubs are not given the authority to cancel memberships- the cancellation number you're given to call is at corporate headquarters, where you speak to a 'member retention specialist' (desk monkey), who will then attempt to persuade you to keep your membership.

I handled tons of complaints from members who had tried to cancel, but were still getting billed. Something is seriously screwy with this company. On any given shift, there would easily be a dozen members with 'billing issues' presenting on the check-in screen. I'll never join this gym, because it's so hard to get out, and the whole corporation, from the club level on up, is so greedy and profit-driven they really don't give a crap about the consumer.

I was ripped off too

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I had joined 24-hour fitness several years ago, an cancelled my membership 24 hours after I joined. I found a better deal. Anyway, they NEVER put a stop on the monthy dues from my credit card. After countless phone calls, and disputes to my bank (which since they were less than $50 they did not want to bother with them), STILL nothing done. I decided to cancel my credit card, and that should be that.

Six months goes by and they have turned me in to a collection agency for the six months of charges that did not go through. I called the collection agency and explained the situation, they told me I had to go through 24 hour fitness to get the collection reversed.

Several more phone calls, and still nothing. A few months goes by and I got a notice that it was reproted as a charge off to the credit bureau.
I wound up having to hire an attorney to get things taken care of. So I was out several hundred dollars for attorney fees, but to protect my credit rating it was well worth it.