Complaint Review: AOL

• Submitted: Fri, February 14, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, February 14, 2003

• Reported By:Kensington Maryland
AOL
200 AOL Way Dulles, Virginia U.S.A.

AOL Time Warner rip-off lied to us Dulles Virginia

*Consumer Comment: The "2nd account" trick- I am another victim

In August 2002, I purchased a computer from Dell and was offered 6 months free AOL service.

On February 11, 2003, I called AOL to cancel service because I now have high speed internet service. AOL had charged my credit card for two months (December 2002 and January 2003)at $23.90 per month claiming that another account was opened under the master account.

While the agent explained that customers are allowed up to seven names under one account for free, she contradicted herself by telling me that I was billed because a second account was established using my master account. Therefore, the agent refused to credit my credit card for the two months they charged and offered to give me two months extension of service rather tnan. My purpose of calling them was to cancel AOL -- I don't need a two month extension of service.

Furthermore, since the sixth months of free AOL ended on February 10, and I called on February 11, I will be billed for another month because it was a new billing cycle. So, that's a total of $71.70 I have been billed for (the last month only becaused I called to cancel a day after the expiration of the free service).

This is a fraudulent company totally ripping customers off with their unfair business practices.

Berenda
Kensington, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2003 11:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL/Dulles-Virginia/AOL-Time-Warner-rip-off-lied-to-us-Dulles-Virginia-45419. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL

The "2nd account" trick- I am another victim

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

I cancelled on 10/12 (the day when the billing cicle ended) and received a letter confirming that I was no longer an AOL member on 10/18.

On 12/18 my credit card was charged another time. I called them up and they told me that I had a "second account". I never opened a second account, I just had 7 different screen names, the information AOL gives is that you can have 7 different screen names under one account.

After 10/12/2002 I never used AOL again, because I had a different ISP.

AOL still refuses to credit the charges back to my Credit Card- once they have you CC number they treat your card the same way a bum would treat your wallet if you would ask him to take care of it.