allowances

• Updated: Tue, July 31, 2007

• Reported By:Santa Clara California
Advantage Car Rental
San Jose Airport, Costa Rica San Jose, Costa Rica Costa Rica

Advantage / Economy Car Rental In San Jose, Costa Rica Bait and Switch on the Price - overcharged for insurance - car cost double of inernet promised rate San Jose, CostarSan Jose Costa Rica

When I got to the car rental counter I was told I needed some special typeof insurance that my American Express card didn't cover. This was never stated anywhere. In the states and Europe you can choose to decline any additional coverages.

When all was said and done (and since I was desperate for a car) I ended up wasting an hour at their rental counter and then paying exactly double the rate I had from my Travelocity reservation.

Another couple in the "rental car van" behind me said that they had charged him an extra $150 for a day fraudulently.

I felt trapped since I needed a car and very violated. They charged double of the rate I was promised.

Oh - and by the way -- the car they gave me had the Engine light on the whole time. It wasn't till I was 50 miles away that I noticed this. They said I could bring it back if I wanted -- thus wasting the entire day for me. I chose not to & took my chances. Luckily it paid off.

Very scary and horrible experience. I wonder if the other car companies in Costa Rica are similarly deceptive.

Anonymous
Santa Clara, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2007 01:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advantage-Car-Rental/San-Jose-Costa-Rica/Advantage-Economy-Car-Rental-In-San-Jose-Costa-Rica-Bait-and-Switch-on-the-Price-over-264293. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advantage Car Rental