Complaint Review: Allstate Indemnity Company

• Submitted: Sun, July 04, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, July 15, 2004

• Reported By:Ashland New Hampshire
Allstate Indemnity Company
75 Executive Parkway Hudson, Ohio U.S.A.

Allstate Indemnity Company ripoff waste of time money and effort Hudson Ohio

*Author of original report: But they won't reinstate

*Consumer Comment: Insurance Industry Employee Comment

*Consumer Comment: Insurance Industry Employee Comment

An agent got me an Allstate policy for the home that I just bought. I had to pay for a year ahead, as was the requirement by my mortgage company.

A month after I believed I was all set a man from Allstate knocks on my door asking if anyone told me that he would be inspecting the property. I said that no one had told me, but I didn't mind if he did. (It was just outside.) A week or so later, my agent calls and asks if I've heard that Allstate wants to cancel my policy because they didn't like what my house looked like, trip hazards, and ditches (?).

Well, it seems to me that they should've checked the property before they insured it, right? Now they are holding onto my money and what am I supposed to use for a down payment for a new policy?

How unprofessional. They're obviously a moneyhungry corporation that is badly managed. After reading all the problems people have had with their claims dept. I guess I'll be better off without them anyway.

They should have told me upfront that they would not insure my property. Now two months after I buy my house I have to go out and get a bunch of new quotes. I'm not too thrilled about that. What a waste of time!

Plus, isn't this a year-long contract that they have to honor? Nothing has changed since they issued the policy to me. I can see them trying to cancel at renewal, but not two months after the policy started. That's backward.

Mo
Ashland, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/04/2004 04:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allstate-Indemnity-Company/Hudson-Ohio/Allstate-Indemnity-Company-ripoff-waste-of-time-money-and-effort-Hudson-Ohio-97595. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allstate Indemnity Company

But they won't reinstate

AUTHOR: Mo - (U.S.A.)

I neglected to mention a large part of the problem with Allstate. They have stated that they won't reinstate the policy even though all of the problems they noted have been fixed. No reasons will be given why, either.

Also, I am aware that I am entitled to get my money back prorated for time I am not insured. The problem is that I didn't get it back in time to use it for a new policy.

Insurance Industry Employee Comment

AUTHOR: Vanessa - (U.S.A.)

First, let me say that although I work for an insurance company, I do not work for Allstate. In fact, I work for a competitor.

Every insurance company has their underwriting guidelines that must be met. You are correct in one thing: Allstate should've inspected your home BEFORE they agreed to cover it. But whether or not they did, the company can still cancel any new business policy within their "free underwriting period" which is usually 60 days in most states.

If they've cancelled your policy 2 months into a 12 month term, they are required to refund the remaining 10 months in unused premium. You'll be able to use that for your new down payment. Or, if you're willing to make the necessary repairs, I'm sure Allstate would reinstate the policy after a re-inspection.

They are not bound to the annual contract until their free period runs out. If they don't cancel within their first 60 days (or however long in your state), they would not be able to cancel until your renewal date.

I hope this helps you out. Most people get upset with insurance companies or agents because they just dont understand the guidelines.

Insurance Industry Employee Comment

AUTHOR: Vanessa - (U.S.A.)

The company I work for requires an inspection of any new property we cover before we ever take the application and/or down payment, but we still send an independent inspector to randomly selected properties. This ensures 1) the agent is doing their job correctly and 2) the policyholder hasn't lied to us. The inspector will look for liability hazards (i.e. a car sitting in your back yard or fridge sitting on your front porch), ineligible animals or a roof missing shingles. Any of these can cause the insurance companies thousands of dollars in claims and you'd be amazed how many people fail to mention these things when they're in your office. Your insurance policy is there IF something goes wrong, not WHEN something goes wrong. It is your responsibility to take any and all precautions to prevent claims from happening.