Complaint Review: American Intercontinental University

• Submitted: Wed, October 18, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, May 11, 2010

• Reported By:Lafayette Indiana
American Intercontinental University
aiu.edu Lafayette, Indiana U.S.A.

American Intercontinental University A.I.U. Online Total Ripoff!!! NOT ACCREDITED!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! Lafayette Indiana

*Consumer Comment: AIU is accredited....

*General Comment: Accredation MY butt!!!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: STOP ATTENDING ALL THESE JUNK ON LINE SCHOOLS AND YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED

*Author of original report: Class Action!

*UPDATE Employee: WOW

*UPDATE Employee: Actually, they are Accredited

*Consumer Comment: Take some responsibility and move on!!!

*Consumer Comment: Very hard to sue schools

*Author of original report: Class Action Lawsuit!!

WE NEED TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THIS SCHOOL. I WAS TOLD A.I.U. IS ACCREDITED, IT IS NOT ACCREDITED. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL EMPLOYERS TELL ME NO GO ON EMPLOYMENT WITH THIS DEGREE. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING LESS THAN A FULL REFUND OF ALL TYUITION AND OR STUDENT LOANS I HAD TO TAKLE OUT FOR HTIS BOGUS EDUCATION!! AIU MUST STOP ITS DECEIVING PRACTICES. I WAS ALSO TOLD WHEN I WAS A CURRNT STUDENT THAT MY GRADUATION WOULD NOT BE AFFECTED IF I OWED ANY MONEY TO THE SCHOOL. tHEN, I GRADUATE, AND THE SCHOOL SAYS I CANNOT HAVE MY DIPLOMA UNTIL I PAY OFF THE FULL AMOUNT. THAT IS DECIET!!!

Jace
Lafayette, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/18/2006 05:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Intercontinental-University/Lafayette-Indiana-47901/American-Intercontinental-University-AIU-Online-Total-Ripoff-NOT-ACCREDITED-CLASS-216509. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Intercontinental University

AIU is accredited....

AUTHOR: Lasseterja - (U.S.A.)

All4Tees, our experinces are different with AIU, I found it be both challenging and rewarding.  After much research, I decided to attend AIU Online graduating in August 2009 with a Master's degree in Education with focus in Instructional Technology.  Other than a poor Financial Aid and Accounting department, the quality of education was on par with other universities that I've attended throughout a 23 year naval career.

I have few items that dispel many of the allegations raised by disgruntled posters.

1.  AIU is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.  It used to be accredited by the Southern Association of College and Schools  where it was on probation for a year or so but soon gained full accreditation before transferring to HLC in 2009.  You may be surprised at the number of schools on probation by regionally accrediting bodies.

2.  I graduated in August 2009 and was accepted by Old Dominion University and Regent University doctoral programs.  I decided on Regent University for the spring of 2010.  I can state without reservation that AIU properly prepared me for doctoral work.  If the AIU degree was worthless, then I would have not been accepted to these Universities.  Additionally, I was also accepted by George Washington University and NOVA Southeast but never seriously considered these two.

3.  I used to work with General Dynamics as a Training Specialist and since obtaining my Master's degree, I have received a promotion along with many job offers from many employers seeking my experience and educational credentials.  I recently accepted a GS-13/14 position as an Instructional Systems Specialist.  This would have not been possible if my degree was indeed worthless either by fortune 500 companies or the Department of Defense.

4.  My tuition was paid for in part by the MGIB and employer reimbursement.  I find it hard to believe that an employer would pay for coursework if they viewed it as worthless.   General Dynamics is a large defense contractor much like Boeing, Lockheed, Sikorsky, etc.  Each of these firms recognizes AIU degrees and offer tuition reimbursement.

5.  I'm a 23 year naval veteran and graduate of AIU.  Any attempts by some to label any positive comments as anything other are just indicative of their own distrust.

Lastly, I would recommend AIU to any working professional seeking to enhance their resume and upward progression.  These posts that allege AIU is not accredited or offer worthless degrees are not based on facts and only harm the reputations of the many thousands of alumni, current students and instructors of AIU.  I'm a 23 year naval veteran and graduate of AIU.  My educational experience at AIU has certainly led to better career opportunities and significantly enhanced my professional growth.

#2 General Comment

Accredation MY butt!!!!!

AUTHOR: all4tees - (United States of America)

Accredited my butt!!! This school has a  15 % graduation and you cannot transfer your degree to another GOOD school as 1. portland Univer or NYU  and there are many more. So you really need to to do your research......Stop listening to the  admissions and do the research. yes, they are on review and have been for a least 5 years. Nothing has change and nor will it, they are expensive and ill mannered............ all4tees

#3 Consumer Suggestion

STOP ATTENDING ALL THESE JUNK ON LINE SCHOOLS AND YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

STOP ATTENDING ALL THESE JUNK ON LINE SCHOOLS AND YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED
All brick & morter colleges and community colleges offer on line classes now at reasonable state tuition rates. If everyone would just stop this Bull$#*& of attending these rip off places of higher education, you would not be getting yourselves in a financial bind, or having these rip off companies trying to ruin your credit. Then UOP, AXIA, STRAYER, CAPELLA, and who ever else Jon Doe for profit schools will close up shop and be gone for good!

These on line schools are a 100% rip off. I have taken a few on line classes through one of my local community college's and I am satisfied to know that its 100% accredited and transferable to any 4 year university, no questions asked.

Please everyone, stop giving yourself a heartache

Class Action!

AUTHOR: Jace - (U.S.A.)

A.I.U.Online division is not accredited!

WOW

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

So much hatred. Try working there-lol. The degree itself is worth it. Talk to SACS, they'll answer your questions. Do I hate working there? Sometimes I do. Management needs to revamp and I THINK that may have already started. But as far as the education itself, don't knock it because you're bitter. Dozens of my students have been promoted and done quite well with their lives. I really do hate the management and the treatment of a lot of the staff but that doesn't qualify for a "Rip-off".

Actually, they are Accredited

AUTHOR: Tawny - (U.S.A.)

I am not sure where you have gotten your information, but AIU is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

They are however, on probation. This is an incredibly strict accrediting body. I suggest you do your research and look up how many schools they have placed on probation. The University of Louisiana for example. I do believe you would be shocked at the amount.

The probation does not affect current students. All their credits while the school is accredited are considered valid. AIU is making an incredible amount of changes to meet the demands of SACS. Due to the amount of changes, SACS chose to place them on probation for an additional year to ensure they are keeping those policies in place.

Please do not post things you have not bothered to research.

Take some responsibility and move on!!!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

I find it interesting how the original poster here keeps resorting to the same statements: "I was TOLD this or I was TOLD that."

No matter how many times people point out the necessity to perform one's research before spending tens of thousands of dollars on an education, she continues to ignore such suggestions and keeps believing that because she was "told" something then she must have a case.

A quick, two-minute internet search on AIU pulls up questionable accreditation which is not accepted nationally. That right there should be enough to persuade or dissuade anyone from attending said school if accreditation is important to them!

An important part of being a college student is learning to think independently and developing critical analysis skills. This includes being capable of performing research and making informed decisions. People who prefer to go by life according to what they are "told" have no business being in college as such education would be a waste. Perhaps the OP will eventually realize this, or at least examine her behavior in her fruitless job search. As it so happens, employers also desire people who can "think outside the box" -- otherwise they would hire robots who are "told" what to do by the people who program them.

Very hard to sue schools

AUTHOR: Juliet - (U.S.A.)

I'm no expert, but it seems like whenever class action lawsuits are settled, the recipients receive very small amounts of money regardless of how much they spent, or how badly they were injured, or whatever the case may be. Class action suits take a lot of lawyers getting paid a lot of money, and usually take years to wind their way through the judicial system. The cost of maintaining a class action suit might also exceed reasonableness by a far greater amount than what the combined litigants may have spent, or hope to receive.

Getting money back for an unsatisfactory education just doesn't seem to happen. There'd likely be a lot fewer schools in this country if you could sue them for dissatisfaction. Granted, if deception, etc., can be proven, there would seem to be a basis for a lawsuit, but again, I wouldn't pin my hopes on ever recovering what you spent.

Getting ripped off on an education really hurts because it is so expensive, and then having the promises of a brighter future ripped away makes the wound even deeper. Living and learning is a rotten response, but at some point, that's about the only option left.

Nursing the wound won't hurt the school a bit, but it will do you great harm. I really do feel for you, and wish I had something better to say, but having been ripped off both by so-called friends as well as the corporate world, justice is a nice concept, but we can't let ourselves be eaten alive when it doesn't happen, and, ugly as the truth may be, it usually won't happen.

If someone has a better response, please post it!! I hate this negative impression I have, but I also really hate to see someone being eaten alive by an issue that likely can't have a satisfactory resolution for them.

AUTHOR: Jace - (U.S.A.)

I want to stop this school from using a college education as leverage for the c.e.o. to get rich of poor students. I was told this was quality, accredited education. 20,000 dollars later, I cannot get a good paying job with this education. The school is worthless, I learned nothing. I need a list of people interested in a class action lawsuit. I want all of my money back, and the satisfaction of knowing this school cannot ripoff anyone else in the future.