Complaint Review: Balley's Total Fitness

• Submitted: Tue, November 25, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, June 10, 2010

• Reported By:Charlotte North Carolina
Balley's Total Fitness
5215 Monroe St Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Balley's Total Fitness Scam, deceptive practices, bait and switch Toledo Ohio

*Consumer Comment: same happened to me!

*Consumer Suggestion: Statute of limitations

For anyone who was thinking about joining Bally's Total Fitness I would highly suggest that you entertain other options. Trust me the thin figure or muscular definition is not worth the hassle you will endure.

In 1995, I was lurred into visiting Bally's under their "30 day free trial membership", and after this so called "FREE" trial period, you could join the club for a low monthly fee of $19/month. **WARNING** Please take note to the fact that they still use this advertising today, or some variation. ($19 down/$19 a month)

After only one visit, where I was asked to fill out a form to receive my "FREE" membership, I decided against joining and never returned. Now almost 14 years later, I am still receiving collection letters and harrassing phone calls stating that I owe Bally's anywhere between $1000-$2500.

Wow! Not only is their "FREE" trial membership extremely deceptive, but their math skills are a bit shakey as well. Even if a contract for membership was somehow binded at $19/month during this free trial, how do they come up with $1000 or $2500? Heck, at that rate I would have had to be a member for at least 11 of the last 14 years. Did I somehow automatically renew my membership indefinitely after only one visit as well?

Over the years I have collected the countless harrassing letters and have even entertained some of the many collection calls on occassion. But really when is enough, enough? To think of the all the paper, postage, and wasted time they have spent futilly trying to collect a false debt that they have created. At this point they would probably have already saved whatever money they think I owe if they just gave up. I mean, do they really think anyone would pay them $1000, or $2500 for visiting their club during a Free membership session?

Let it be known that I HAVE NOT and WILL NOT ever pay even 1 penny toward this extorsionist debt. If you have fallen victim to this scam feel free to post your complaint against them as well so maybe collectively we can go after Bally's for their deception. I'll even make the harrassing phone calls until they pay back all of the people whom they have taken advantage.

Irishb31
Charlotte, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/25/2008 02:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Balleys-Total-Fitness/Toledo-Ohio-43623/Balleys-Total-Fitness-Scam-deceptive-practices-bait-and-switch-Toledo-Ohio-395019. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Balley's Total Fitness

same happened to me!

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

i would be more than happy to join in on getting them for ripping us off. screw them. they are doing the same to me. feel free to email me
(((Redacted)))

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Statute of limitations

AUTHOR: Terrance - (U.S.A.)

If you haven't made a payment, or acknowledged that you owe the debt in that many years, then the statute of limitations has passed. The next time they call, tell them that the statute of limitations has passed, and if they continue to HARASS you, you will sue them for harassment.

Wally