Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Submitted: Tue, November 11, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, November 14, 2008

• Reported By:eastpointe Michigan
Best Buy
bestbuy.com Roseville, Michigan U.S.A.

Best Buy Shoddy merchandise - 42" Toshiba Regaza LCD TV Roseville Michigan

*Consumer Comment: stick with Best Buy or some other company other than Sears

*Author of original report: Best Buy Update

On May 03, 2008 I purchased a Toshiba Regaza 42" LCD TV. Worked fine until October 4th 2008 when it would not turn on. I contacted 1-800-BESTBUY and got their "Service Department." After waiting a week a service tech came out, looked at the TV for 5 minutes and said he would need to order a part which would arrive in 4-5 business days.

After 3 weeks I contacted the "Service Department" and was told the part was on back order until November 26th (which apparently means this model of TV is breaking down all over the country!) I told them this was unacceptable and wanted a new TV, the service manager said he would put an order in and see if this was possible. By some miracle the part showed up a week later.

After another week a tech was able to come out, when he compared it to the part he took out of the TV the new part was 4 times smaller than the original. He said according to the info in the box this was allegedly a replacement, then stated that it would probably not work and to watch it. I went back to work came home and the TV would not come back on. Called customer service again and demanded a new TV as it was ridicules that I am now 5 weeks without my $1500 TV. They stated that because of their procedures nothing could be done until a tech came out and verified the TV wasn't working...apparently I must have been lying about it not working.

So, here we are, me having to take more time off work at a personal expense to me to wait so they can "verify" the TV isn't working. Wonder how long I will have to wait for another shoddy, aftermarket part to come in. Allegedly, because this is taking so long I may be able to get a new TV, but how long will that take?

It's wonderful that a retail company like Best Buy, in this economy can afford to string customers along like this. Especially going into the Christmas season when they make over 25% of their store income. I have spent over $5000 in that store this year and will never, every buy from them again. I will recommend to all my friends and family to never buy from Best Buy again and will now go to Sears or some other retailer next time I need to make a major purchase.

Matt r
eastpointe, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/11/2008 05:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Roseville-Michigan-48066/Best-Buy-Shoddy-merchandise-42-Toshiba-Regaza-LCD-TV-Roseville-Michigan-390252. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

stick with Best Buy or some other company other than Sears

AUTHOR: Marie - (U.S.A.)

Glad your issue with Best Buy was resolved. If you have problems with Best Buy wait until you do business with Sears, you'll wish you had stuck with Best Buy.

Best Buy Update

AUTHOR: Matt r - (U.S.A.)

This situation was resolved the next day. I contacted people at corporate who kept me updated through out the day on what was being done to resolve the situation. Between personnel there and the Field Service Supervisor I ended up getting a replacement tv (same day.) Based on this experience my faith in Best Buy is fully restored.