Complaint Review: Bose

• Submitted: Thu, March 19, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, November 26, 2012

• Reported By:Palm Bay Florida
Framington, Massachusetts Palm Bay, Florida U.S.A.

Bose ,Bose Redefines The English Word 'NEW' Palm Bay Florida

*Consumer Comment: And learning takes place.

I've always liked Bose speakers. I owned a pair of 301s and 501s prior to purchasing the Series IV 901s in 1982. The surrounds (foam) have been replaced on all 18 drivers twice in those 27 years. When the left speaker started to flutter at very low frequencies, I decided to check with Bose about getting it repaired.

Bose informed me that they no longer repair the Series IV, but that I could trade in my old 901s for a pair of "brand new" Series VI 901s for $772. A new set of 901s cost $1398, nearly twice as much, so this seemed like a pretty good deal. But, there was a catch... I may have to wait up to 14 weeks to receive the new speakers. With a minimum of one week shipping time, both ways, this could be as long as 4 months!

I told Bose that I wouldn't go 4 months without speakers, but that I would be willing to purchase a new set for full price and wait up to 4 months after their receipt of my old speakers for Bose to reimburse me the difference. No deal.

This simply didn't make sense! Why did Bose need 4 months to do a trade-in? I decided to make some calls. What I discovered made all the pieces fall together...

Bose, it seems, has decided to redefine the English word "new". If it comes from the factory and it looks new, then it is, by definition, new! (See Ripoff Report #49060 --http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/049/RipOff0049060.htm) What I would be getting for my trade-in, I was told, would be a pair of "Frankenstein" speakers: speakers made from the parts of other dead speakers. The 4 month delay was to allow the factory time to put together something that looked NEW, otherwise why not just send out stock? They ARE in stock! And what would become of my 18 very, VERY used 27 year old drivers? A Bose rep claimed they would be discarded. If so, why does Bose insist that they be returned to the factory (at considerable expense) instead of dropped off at the local Bose store? They have dumpsters! How would you like to buy a pair of NEW speakers with one or more 27 year old drivers in it? Would you knowingly buy a pair of NEW speakers with ANY used parts in it? I wouldn't and that's why I won't be buying Bose again!

Palm Bay, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2009 12:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bose/Palm-Bay-Florida/Bose-Bose-Redefines-The-English-Word-NEW-Palm-Bay-Florida-435674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bose

And learning takes place.

AUTHOR: Drunk N. Pastor - (United States of America)

Or has it?
You insist on buying Bose speakers for what particular reason? You like the name?

Or are you another, (oh my GAWD) "audiophile?"

If so, please leave your name and address so that I can add it to my Bose audiophile sucker...er...aficionado marketing list.

Save your money. But from Walmart. You won't hear any difference, but if you think you can, you'll help make my boat payments.