Complaint Review: DEVRY UNIVERSITY

• Updated: Mon, October 15, 2012

• Reported By: expexwhatipay4 — Greenbelt Maryland United States of America
DEVRY UNIVERSITY
3005 Highland Parkway Downers Grove Internet United States of America

DEVRY UNIVERSITY Devry Took my Financial Aid ($3441) after I left the school, and THEY SIGNED my financial aid clearance letter, Internet

*Author of original report: Thank you.

*UPDATE Employee: Please Contact Us

I signed up with Devry University to start taking classes as of March 2012.  I took 2 classes the initial session (8 weeks), passed and continued.  Just prior to my 3rd session, I noticed that there was a $2600 balance.  I called up and asked them over and over, but for a month and a half nobody could explain this balance.  Eventually one phone rep was able to tell me that my first semester classes were not covered with my financial aid.  I get up to $4000 a semester with my financial aid and Pell grants, so how is it NOT covered??

This bull continues so I decide to leave the school.  I am in the middle of a class, but opt to finish it out until the end.  I leave Devry September 3 to start my classes with my new school on September 5. I removed Devry from my FAFSA.  I called my personal financial aid rep, academic rep, and the registrar to inform them I am leaving.  I send the required forms, fill out what I need to for Devry, and the last step is to get my financial aid clearance letter.

The financial aid clearance letter basically tells one school what the other school used as far as financial aid is concerned (so there is no overlap).  This info is also contained in 2 different databases, but physical forms and signatures are required.  Devry signed this form and sent it to my new school.  I've start my classes, then I hear from my current school that Devry has taken my Subsidized ($1750), Unsubsidized ($541), and Pell Grant ($1150).  I now have to come out of pocket to pay for my school this semester because Devry is a fraudulent waste of time, patience, and sanity.

My final question to Mr. JB @ Devry was, "so I completed everything I was supposed to, and in July/August I have put verbally AND in writing to Devry that I wanted to drop all courses and leave as of September 5.  Now someone at Devry has dropped the ball and you're telling me you're adding a couple thousand on to my personal debt with Devry based on something that wasn't my fault?"  Well not in exact words, but he pretty much said "yup, sorry, anything else I can do for ya?"

This school is a SCAM/financial death trap.  I was only able to speak with my "assigned" academic and financial reps twice during the entire 6 months I was there.  They raped me of my financial aid money, provided no assistance to fix the problems they cause, and are extremely rude.  Please don't waste your time here.  Do your research.  There are many other students who have experienced issues with this school that no student should ever have to go through.  Especially being ripped off for almost $10,000 in less than 6 months.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2012 09:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DEVRY-UNIVERSITY/internet/DEVRY-UNIVERSITY-Devry-Took-my-Financial-Aid-3441-after-I-left-the-school-and-THEY-SI-945766. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DEVRY UNIVERSITY

Thank you.

AUTHOR: expexwhatipay4 - (United States of America)

I would like to sincerely thank you.  After all this time I still have not heard from my academic or financial advisers regarding this situation.   I did a little research on the web and found a  point of contact within the National Student Loans Data System (NSLDS ).  I spoke with her on the phone for a while to explain the entire situation (from my viewpoint).  To make a long story short, she informed me that I needed to file for an "Unpaid Refund Discharge".  She gathered information and was done in a matter of minutes.  Within 10 day I received three separate emails from Devry to include the details of my student loans being sent back to the lender as well as an apology letter.  I am very much glad to be done with this occurrence, and would like to thank you once again for reaching out.  It means a lot.

Genalyn Mather

Please Contact Us

AUTHOR: DeVry University - (USA)

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I would like the opportunity to investigate and try to resolve it for you. If you would like assistance, please contact me at DeVrySocial@DeVry.edu.

Kind Regards,