Complaint Review: E-470 Public Highway Authority

E-470 Public Highway Authority Express Toll Toll billing ripoff Internet

*Author of original report: E-470 Ripoff

*General Comment: I feel your pain

*UPDATE Employee: Toll Billing Ripoff

Today I received a junk mail looking letter from the Express Toll out of Denver Colorado.  This turned out to be a bill from Express Toll stating that I failed to pay a toll road bill and that there was a five dollar late fee.  I did not receive an original bill from these people.

I do remember riding my motorcycle through Colorado back in July of 2012.  I do not remember seeing any signs on any of the roads in Colorado stating that I was on or about to be on a toll road. I'm from Idaho and we don't have any toll roads, so I'm not familiar with them.  I may or may not have been on that road.  I'm willing to acknowledge that I was probably on the road.

My complaint is about the fraudulent billing practice.  It is unfair to me that I receive this junk mail looking bill 3 months after I've gone through Colorado.  It's the only notice that I've received and they add a $5.00 late fee.  The money really doesn't mean much to me it's the principal of the activity.  Can you imagine how much money this outfit is swindling from people if they use this fraudulent scam with everyone.  I'm going to contact the Colorado Attorney General to file a complaint.  This activity should be investigated as a crime.  It's obvious that they purposely make their notices look like junk mail with the hopes that people will just throw it away and they can rack up the fees.  This way they can turn a simple $3.15 charge into a $63 profit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2012 10:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/E-470-Public-Highway-Authority/internet/E-470-Public-Highway-Authority-Express-Toll-Toll-billing-ripoff-Internet-953140. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on E-470 Public Highway Authority

E-470 Ripoff

AUTHOR: Steve V - (United States of America)

Now I really know what a bunch of thieves these people are.  They are claiming that I moved and left no forwarding address, so I didn't receive the first notice.  I live in the same house that I have lived in for the past 14 years.  I checked my registration card and confirmed that the address is correct.

I must have planned the scheme to defraud these people when I got home from my trip.  I knew that I owed them approximately $3.00.  I knew I couldn't afford that $3.00 so I went to the Post Office and filed a change of address with no forwarding address, so they couldn't find me.  I then went into hiding for the next three months.

People be warned, this is a scam.  These people are thieves and have quite an elaborate scheme going.  Just think of the thousands of dollars they must be raking in by throwing your first notice in the garbage.

#2 General Comment

I feel your pain

AUTHOR: dz - (United States of America)

Do file a report with Colorado AG.  Hopefully the more they hear, the better chance that this organization gets held accountable.  And they (AG office) will respond to you.  I wrote several letters to anyone I could tie to this bogus outfit. Lots to local politicians also.  Most of them did not respond.   What I have learned is that they (E470) have taken some steps to improve, but basically have not yet cured all of their problems.  They really could care less about you or I, and they have zero concept for quality customer service.  They've been pounded in the past, and are quite callused.

The operation (top to bottom) is incredibly insensitive to the public.  The more you learn, the more you will be amazed.  Daily massage services at their HQ...attendance at expensive conferences...it's unreal.

And yes - it's very simple....people unknowingly drive the road, time passes, they send you a bill with a bunch of collections fees, and threaten to hold back your vehicle registration.  When you explain that you never got an original bill, they offer a bunch of lame answers, and eventually blame the postal service.  And the appeal process is basically non-existent.  They will not even consider dropping the extra charges once you call them on it.  To call is a rip-off is understatement.

After expending a lot of energy, I realized the best I could do was spread the word to avoid the road.  However, at least we make them respond to the complaints, and I know the AG complaint process forces them to have to respond.  Maybe someday the cost of their crooked practices will exceed their gains.  Would be sad if they had to cancel the masseuse.

Toll Billing Ripoff

AUTHOR: David - (USA)

Steve in Pocatello is sharing only a portion of his story.  E-470 has shared with the Colorado Attorney's General office that we did, in fact, send Steve and his wife a first License Plate Toll (LPT) statement on August 28, 2012.  This first LPT statement was sent to the address on file with the Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles.

This first LPT statement was not deliverable because Steve had moved and not yet left a forwarding address with the USPS so that his mail could be forwarded.  Steve did receive E-470's second LPT statement with a $5.00 late fee because he had not paid his toll by the due date.  E-470 has provided the Colorado Attorney's General office with copies of the returned mail, USPS correspondence and the subsequent LPT bill also sent to Steve.  E-470 encourages all License Plate Toll customers driving on E-470 to maintain an up-to-date address with their state DMV and to provide the USPS with a forwarding address when moving.

Steve can resolve his unpaid toll balance by contacting the EXpressToll customer service center at (303) 537-3470, Option 1, and making his payment through the interactive voice response automated payment assistant.  When doing so, Steve should have his License Plate Toll statement number available.