We have been dealing with EMC Mortgage on "Making Home Affordable (MHA) Modification Program" since December 2010. My mother-in-law (MIL) owns the home but had to move to FL to take care of her elderly parents last year, so my husband and I have been living in the home since. We fell behind on mortgage payments due to my lay-off and a cut back of hours at his job, we fell 2 months behind on payments and were told at that moment not to make any more payments (by an EMC rep.) that we may qualify for the MHA program (and that during the time we were being considered for a modification that our home was safe from foreclosure for the duration of the process - usually 30 days, tho we've been attempting a loan mod since Dec. 2011) and to download the forms and have my mother-in-law (MIL) fill them out; supplying her monthly income, expenses, tax return, etc., which we did. Countless times we received phone calls and correspondence via USPS from EMC stating that various pages were lost, or needed signed, they didn't receive them or the information they received was insufficient. Each time I complied with them and faxed the necessary paperwork. I spoke to a Mrs. (Shirley) Draper in EMC's (or Chase-Manhattan, it seems they can't decide which company name to use) New York office, she had been assigned to us to handle the mod process (EMC never would give me that offices direct phone #, they would only transfer me there) and voiced my concern bc one of the stipulations for a MHA modification was that it had to be "owner-occupied." Mrs. Draper assured me that "it shouldn't be an issue" bc my MIL moved out of state to take care of her parents (and that the gov't probably wouldn't check on that anyway) and that the modification should go thru EMC's arbitration dept by the end of the week. She asked me to keep in contact with her bc EMC needed a recent copy of my MIL's bank statement, so I tried to call her later that week after I faxed the statement. I attempted to be connected with her extension (Ext. 382-5867) only to be told she wasn't available, she miraculously doesn't have voicemail - I asked (in this day and age, I find that unbelievable). Could she be avoiding me? Yes, that's what I gather bc on June 22, 2011, we received a letter from EMC stating that we were ineligible for the MHA Modification Program bc the property isn't owner-occupied! I talked to EMC today and was disconnected twice (while supposedly being transferred to their Loan Mitigation Dept. since the property is now back in foreclosure). I was told to keep the property we would have to pay $3000 up front (half the amount we're behind), make monthly payments of $839.41 for seven months, then the payments would decrease to $422.84 since the loan is now considered ARM as of April 2011. We wouldn't have gotten that far behind had we not been told my an EMC rep that no payments would be accepted. On several occasions, EMC's reps led us to believe that we would qualify for the MHA program. I have NEVER talked to the same representative and find that I have to re-explain my circumstances each and every time I call, while being asked 20 questions as to why I hadn't made the mortgage payments. I ask each time I call what I need to say to get transferred to the right dept but each time I call and tell them who I need to speak with, they keep me on the phone, pull up my MIL's account and I get grilled again with 20 questions as to why I hadn't made the mortgage payments.
I have often wondered if EMC is getting some sort of government kick-back for not foreclosing on mortgaged properties, the limbo of not knowing what's going on is just too stressful, I wish they'd foreclose already. Its obvious that there is something (financial gain) in it for them bc of the way they run their customers thru the wringer and give them the run-around. I wish someone would look into this bc its obvious that EMC (JPMorgan Chase) is a group of shady characters just by reading all of the consumer complaints and knowing what my family and I have been thru. Please someone do something, or help those of us stuck in limbo know what the next course of action should be. I'm thinking seriously about letting them take back the property or vacating it before they do, we've been trying to make it right but they refuse to work with us.