Complaint Review: HARRISBURG HYUNDAI

• Submitted: Thu, April 10, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 24, 2008

• Reported By:YORK Pennsylvania
HARRISBURG HYUNDAI
4220 CHAMBERS HILL RD HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

HARRISBURG HYUNDAI FREE TIRES FOR LIFE... YEAH RIGHT!!! HARRISBURG Pennsylvania

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You didnt listen.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You didnt listen.

*Consumer Suggestion: shouldn't tires last longer than a year?

*Consumer Comment: Seem like they have fixed this problem.

*Consumer Suggestion: If it sounds too good to be true....

*Consumer Comment: Always read

I purchased a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe in September of 2006 at Harrisburg Hyundai. We, my now ex-husband and I, were in the market for a vehicle we could hold on to for a long time so a long warranty and reliable SUV was what we were looking for. At the time, Harrisburg Hyundai was running a promotion for free tires for life. I thought it was too good to be true but we went to the lot to check it out anyway. It turns out, the catch, according to the salesman, was that it was only on the brand new models. After many hours, a cosigner, and tons of signing, we purchased a brand new SUV. We were very happy with our purchase because truck tires are very expensive. After a little over a year, I felt it was time for me to get my first round of new tires. However, when I called in to make an appointment, I was informed, for the first time, that we would only receive the free tires if we had our vehicle serviced only at Harrisburg Hyundai!!! I couldn't believe it! Such a big deal was made over the free tire promotion and nobody felt the need to state this MAJOR fact???? They then instructed me to read the paperwork more closely; and sure enough, there it was! But nobody mentioned that I should pay special attention to the terms of that part of the paperwork at the time of the sale.

Because it is written in the paperwork, I assume I can't do anything legally. I can, however, caution other people not to make the same mistake. I read over the "important stuff": the repayment terms, what my payments would be and things of that nature. But I neglected to read that part because the salesman recognized that I was very interested in the free tire promotion and that that was the reason I was purchasing a new vehicle rather than a vehicle a year or two old and spoke a lot about the promotion. I kept asking the same question over and over again: "and with this NEW car, we really get free tires???" What I got was a yes, and not a "Yes. But only if you have your truck serviced here." He was very aware of what he was doing...............BEWARE when the salesman is focusing heavily on a promotion. Read over that part carefully!

Leah
YORK, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/10/2008 02:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HARRISBURG-HYUNDAI/HARRISBURG-Pennsylvania-17111/HARRISBURG-HYUNDAI-FREE-TIRES-FOR-LIFE-YEAH-RIGHT-HARRISBURG-Pennsylvania-325128. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HARRISBURG HYUNDAI

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You didnt listen.

AUTHOR: Matt - (U.S.A.)

First off im an ex salesman and ex finance manager of this company. When you sign your paperwork there is a form stating the regular manitenance that must be done for the free tires for life. It also states that you must get your car serviced with the dealership. It also states that even though the tires are free you still pay for mounting and balancing. I dont see this as a rip off I see it as a customer not paying attention to whats going on around them due to the excitement of getting a new car. Which I understand but dont make it seem like the company is a rip off because you made the mistake.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You didnt listen.

AUTHOR: Matt - (U.S.A.)

#3 Consumer Suggestion

shouldn't tires last longer than a year?

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

I think tires should last longer than a year. I'll ber your are really happy with that SUV now that gas is over $4.00 a gallon.

AUTHOR: Dans - (U.S.A.)

I recently purchased a 2009 Sonata from Harrisburg Hyundai with "Free Tires for Live" benefit included. My salesman, Todd, explained in great detail to me what the requirments are of my returning to their dealer for all of my regular service in order to recieve my tires when needed. At the time of sale their finance manager pointed out the fact on the paperwork about the dealer service requirments.

On top of that, about a week later the service department contacted me to set up an appointment to meet with me to review all of the service requirments as to maintain all off the warranties. Makes perfect sense if the dealer is going to commit to tires for life and increasing the factory warranties to 20yr/200,000 miles on the powertrain that they would like to be responsible for the routine maintence to assure the vehicles well being and upkeep.

Just my two cents, sounds like they may have realized they had a problem and took the appropriate steps to fix it. Of the 12 vehicles that I have ever bought, Harrisburg Hyundai has been by far, the best dealer experience I have ever had.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

If it sounds too good to be true....

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

.....it usually is.

Let's face it, you had New Truck Fever, as I like to call it. I drive over 60k miles a year, so I do know alot about buying new tires for an SUV, since I have one. When I bought my new suv, in 2006 my husband and i did extensive research. We knew exactly what we could afford, so it would have made NO dofference what they promised to do if it was not within our budget.

There is no ripoff here, only poor judgement. You still have the choice to take the SUV back and have it serviced at the dealership and get the "free" tires. man, those four letter words sure can bite. lol

PLease, next time, look your budget, not the "freebies"

Cat

Always read

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

Always read what you sign. Someone saying free tires for life would make me read the fine print.

From what you say here you were so excited over the idea of free tires for life (no matter the quality or safety of them) that even if the salesman said it (I bet he did), you wouldn't have heard.