Complaint Review: Hotwire

• Updated: Tue, December 25, 2012

• Reported By: Moderate_Traveler — Atlanta Georgia United States of America
Hotwire

Hotwire Car rental Internet

*Author of original report: Oh really?

*Consumer Comment: Hotwire Car Rentals

When Hotwire says Hotrate, please check the fees hidden under taxes and fees. For a lower total cost you might be able to make a cancellable reservation through Airlines or car rental agencies directly. I am not used to prepay for a rental car. Rental cars are not like airline seats. Many third party agencies had happily booked rental cars for me with a courtesy credit card on file. I misunderstood, and found that Hotwire had charged my card.

Calling them is like talking to a robot, they will say, same thing again and again again, no sir, all bookings are final. They don't mind losing a 10+ years customer relationship. I wonder what is their cost of acquiring a new customer, how much do they have to spend in popping up during my google search? I bet more than $95 they stole from me for the car rental which I would never use. By the way, I could get the same car from them today for $77. So, there is no price match guarantee either.

And if we all get together and bring a class action for using cookies and our personal information by them and their buddies, that could pay back some of the monies we lost.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2012 10:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hotwire/internet/Hotwire-Car-rental-Internet-968865. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hotwire

Oh really?

AUTHOR: Moderate_Traveler - (United States of America)

Why does it sound "fishy" to you, are you from Hotwire?

A customer for 10 years does not mean one has used all the different services.

I have booked air/hotel from Hotwire but not rental cars. The issues I mentioned still are valid:

1. Rental cars are not like airline seats and pre-paid. Every rental car company will courtesy hold for you. One should think twice before pre-paying for a rental car.

2. Normally refund policies depend on the ultimate 3rd party such as the rental car company policies. Hotwire is making it more stringent, for bigger commission plus fees which show up later? Remember, how every airline is asked to show prices including taxes/fees to avoid deception which can only go for so long.

Don't underestimate the power of consumers.

Hotwire Car Rentals

AUTHOR: Christopher - (United States of America)

Let me get this straight. You are a 10+ year customer of Hotwire's but you did not know their HotRate car rentals were prepaid?! Sounds fishy to me. I too am a frequent customer of about 5+ years, even have Express customer status as I found out last time I had to call them. Which means you should know the company better than I do. There is no way this is a valid ripoff claim. It even states while you are booking a rental car that you will be charged in full for the reservation and that the car agency will still require a credit card for incidentals deposit. This is user error, not a ripoff.